Anyone on here installed dakota digital gauges?

GIDYUP

Feb 7, 2003
melbourne, australia
Has anyone on here installed dakota digital gauges? I'm in the middle of putting them in my 66 coupe, I thought i had them all hooked up right and nothing. If anyone's done this setup let me know cause i think i need a bit of help. And before you ask yes i've tried speaking to dakota about this but i'm waiting on a reply to my email. Damn time difference.
Here's another question along the same lines. After i couldn't get it going i thought i should double check things. I was double checking that the 12v accessory wire was connected to the control box and when doing this i accidently touched the ground wire with it and there was a small spark and a smell of smoke. After that my car wouldn't crank over? any idea's what that might be? Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Ok guys i know there was no response to this but i just thought i would let you know i've got it all sorted out know. The gauges are all working and i absolutely love them. It ended up that i just needed some thicker gauge wire for my power and ground but yeah I'm pretty clueless when it comes to mechanical and electrical stuff but i can't believe these were so easy to install, couldn't have made it simpler i don't think. When i get the chance i will try to get a photo of them to show u guys. One other question though what sort of range should the oil psi be sitting at, i think mine sits about 50-55, my oil gauge never worked before hand so i'm not quite sure. What sort of psi is getting too low and high? Also what sort of range for water temp? I'm in my summer here so of course it''s going to be hotter. On my old gauges i would get to about 3/4 on the temp gauge when sitting still in traffic, but when running freely it would sit about half way. This is on days of about 30 - 40 C degrees (86 - 104 F). What sort of high temp should i be getting worried when it gets to it? Thanks for any help. :nice:

GIDYUP said:
One other question though what sort of range should the oil psi be sitting at, i think mine sits about 50-55, my oil gauge never worked before hand so i'm not quite sure. What sort of psi is getting too low and high? Also what sort of range for water temp?
Sorry you did not get a reply to the first question, forum support here is usually really good. Maybe nobody has done the dakota conversion though.

Oil should stay above 50, and running temp should stay below 225 (temp will climb above that when motor is off). There's room for debate on both subjects but these are good 'round numbers to start with.

Yeah i figured not many people would have these gauges, so i wasn't holding my breath for a response soon. I know a while back i saw a blue 65 or 66 coupe with them, can't remember if it was on here or not though. Anyway thanks for the info on oil and temp, appreciate it! :nice:

Theres the old saying of 10psi per 1000 rpm. Some guys on here have high psi's at idle (like edbert said) of like 50 or 60. Mine idles around 10 psi. The machine work on my motor i suspect was not very well done, however it does run fine. *knock on wood* Pressure depends a lot of different variables.