Anyone replaced battery cables?

im2damncool

Founding Member
Dec 28, 1999
Chico, CA
Both my cables are corroded to the point where every couple weeks I have to pour some coke on the + terminal just to get it to start. Disgraceful.... Anyway, ford wants $277 for a new cable. Don't have the $. I want to pull the old cable and make my own from auto store. But it looks like the cable branches off to a bunch of different places. Has anybody done theirs before? How do you get to the other end of the cable, and are there any tips I should know.

• Sponsors (?)

Ehhh.... It's easy as pie to do your own. The pos cable goes from the battery right to the fuse box. When I did my battery relocated - to - trunk, I just clipped that off, put an eye-connector on my new cable, and another on the remains of the other cable... Don't even consider paying 5.0resto or Ford prices.

yeah get some thick gauge wire. 0, 2 or even 4 gauge would work. you should get 2-3 feet of this. any parts store sells battery terminals. also youll need one end to connect to the fuse box. total shouldnt cost you more then ~10 (just going from + terminal to fuse box)

I agree. I looked into this some time back too. The stock terminal hoops suck bad and they want a grip for new stuff.

I'd use 2 AWG cable or numerically smaller.

Good luck.

That's one reason why I didnt do anything to mine yet (mine are fine - I was simply going to upgrade wiring gauge). For the starter cable, I was going to cut the battery-terminal hoop apart and reuse the ring portion because my starter cable doesnt have much slack. Otherwise I'd solder the starter cable.

For any other wires, I'd choose a terminal-style that allows you to either solder a ring terminal onto existing wires and add them (like we do with the oem terminals when adding amp wiring, etc) or that allows wires to be put into the terminal and held with a set screw (audiophyles are into those - the connections are like those of distribution blocks). THere'll be like a 0,2, or 4 AWG cable input or two, and a couple of 8 AWG outputs.

Or use a marine terminal........ whatever works.

The guys will be able to tell you what they used - I'm just mentioning how I'd tackle it.

Good luck.