anyone replaced their door handles??

• Sponsors (?)

I installed mine, Very easy. I used bolts instead of rivits. It looks like those are bolts also just smooth/rounded so they cant be removed from the outside. If you havent removed your old handle yet, drill out the 2 rivits, unhook from the rod inside of the door and install in the opposite. Hook up the rod and bolt in, very easy.

MahFiVeOh said:
I replaced mine last summer, very simple to do.I used carriage bolts with the rounded head and those "lock" nuts with the nylon ring.This way the nuts wont vibrate loose over time.
Best idea so far. The carriage bolts my require a little filing to make the square under the head fit the hole. This is the way Ford should have done it.

Dont get that kit... (this is not a reflection on the kit itself, I'm sure its great and all that), but....

..instead get the METAL door handles (chrome or black) from 50resto. Those will never break on you again and the install is exactly the same. $27 for the pair when I just checked. The rearward crosspin on the plastic handles breaks through the relatively thin eyelet and this is what kills most of the mustang door handles.

And as the gentlemen stated before, using carriage bolts is the way to go.

edit: oops, nevermind those ARE metal.

Good luck!

defintly get the metal ones, i baught a 93 gt from a guy who had just put new door handles on the car and they were both plastic and broke within a week. went to the junk yard got ford metal ones off a 89 4 banger did the easy install like everyone said and now its great. the metal ones are so much better. when takin the door panel off try to get the rivet tool so you dont break them, it makes life easier

removing the door panels is easy, recommend one of those tools to help pry the clip thingies off if you want to replace them, or you could buy them at any auto parts store. Other than that it is pretty easy, just take off the inside part with the power locks or windows on it and unhook the electronics and peel back the insulation. Really, REALLY easy to do, takes no time to do, just make sure the window is up before you start. Prolly the simplest thing I replaced on my car. I used carriage bolts too btw