Anyone running a carbed roller 302??

PickupMan

Founding Member
Jan 30, 2000
Hazleton, Pa
i was wondering if anyone is runnig a roller 302 with a carb setup. If so what are your enginne specs? i'm building up a roller 302 for my brother truck and I'm going to run the B303 camshaft, stock bottom end, edelbrock RPM air gap intake, edelbrock 600 carb, gasket match the stock heads, and headers.Anyone know where I can pick up a B303 camshaft cheap? what do you guys think? any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

I used to have a setup real close to that. It was on my 82 GT. I converted it to a 90 roller block with stock ported heads, E cam, Performer RPM (Air gap wasn't available yet) and Edelbrock 600 with shortie headers. It ran Great! Until about a month later when someone T-boned me and turned my 82 into a Taco. :(
Also I used a distributor from an 85 to be compatible with the roller cam.

My combo right now is in the signature. I'm very soon to completing buying all the parts for my head swap (Performer RPM cylinder heads, Comp Cams XE270HR camshaft, Comp Cams 1.6 Pro Magnum roller rockers, High Energy lifters)

It goes pretty well as is right now....but I want more! :D

I have that set up in a 68 mustang, W/ a C-4 Trans. I removed it from a 89 gt stang that ran 14.00 with 3.73 gears and t-5 trans. it has holley 600 carb B303 cam 1.7 rockers keath black silver light .40 over and stock heads and bottom end it now runs 15.6 but I beleave the 1.7 rockers were to much for not having a converter or bigger carb. but it sounds really good. When I removed the rockers and put the stock ones on it picked up 3 mph and 1 second

PickupMan said:
i was wondering if anyone is runnig a roller 302 with a carb setup. If so what are your enginne specs? i'm building up a roller 302 for my brother truck and I'm going to run the B303 camshaft, stock bottom end, edelbrock RPM air gap intake, edelbrock 600 carb, gasket match the stock heads, and headers.Anyone know where I can pick up a B303 camshaft cheap? what do you guys think? any suggestions?

Gotta love '85 5.0s....first year for a roller cam and it was still carbed....talk about your cake and eating it too. I just found out today that my carb is indeed a bone stock 580 4 barrel :notnice: . Still runs like a raped ape with around 250k on the stock motor. With an Air Gap intake and that 600, you could get away with an E cam with no problem. Throw on some decent heads and it'll be kickin ass for pretty cheap.

thanks for all the replies. Is the "E" cam bigger than the "B" cam? The engine is for my brother and I don't think he cares about drivability too much he just want's the "Muscle" sound for his truck. Hell anyone can give an engine lope but it will run like crap unless you build it right. I'm also building a Roller, carbed motor for my 66 so this info helps for that project. How can I tell what heads are on his 302? I've looked but didn't see anything that said E7TE.