Anyone running an Explorer intake? Explorer vs Cobra vs stock ported lower

Highbredcloud

Mar 4, 2003
Palos Hills, IL
According to this chart it seems like THERE IS a difference between GT-40 style intakes...I always thought that the GT-40, Cobra, and the Explorer were with in a close range of each other...however, it seems like the Explorer flows a lot less than the GT-40 or the Cobra...is this a misprint on this chart? what should I expect? I thought that a ported lower as according to Tmoss flows between 180-190cfm would run the same as an Explorer stock...anyone know? :shrug:

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=334773&highlight=systemax+1**lower+intake

• Sponsors (?)

There are a number of different flow tests floating around out there. Like dyno's, each flow bench/operator/conditions are different -- so it's not wise to take any one set of numbers as absolute when comparing. I've seen numbers that show the Cobra and the Explorer outflowing the GT40. When you look at all of them I conclude that they're close enough to consider them being comparable. tmoss can tell you what his ported lower/stock upper does compared to them.

That 96 Super Ford test is low for the Explorer compared to more recent flow testing and the dyno test of all three GT40 style intakes by Aderson Ford Motorsport. All the Gt40 family intakes flow in the range of 205-210 cfm, which is 20-30 more cfm than you will get from a ported lower with a stock upper intake. Don't base your choices solely on flow numbers, you might be making a mistake - it's in the whole combination, not just one piece AND compare the total torque curve of various combos - not the peaks!