Anyone use a Lokar flexible oil tube/dipstick?

• Sponsors (?)

Someone can correct me on this, but i think the only Lokar dipsticks made for the 302 and 351 are for the late model rear sump motors. The dipstick went from the timing cover in the early years to the side of the motor. Not sure what year this all changed but the Lokar ones are too long for 65-73 motors.

Prepair to be corrected.:D Just kidding.

I've got one on my 66 with a 289 cover. It is dead nuts accurate as far as reading it. You can move it probably 2" either way. Mine lined up perfectly with a bolt hole.

One piece of advice if you buy one. Be carefull putting it in the cover. The tip breaks very easily upon installation. The customer service department will know exacly what piece to sent you thou. Trust me.:rolleyes:

I wouldn't get it. Mine is about 3 years old and it's just becoming possible to put the dipstick back in without too much of a fight. It goes all the way to the bottom, and hits a lip, and refuses to go in. I guess you take the time to ben tthe tip, and make sure it goes back in the same way eveytime. But I was pretty bitter about spending that much money for a pain in the ass.

10secgoal said:
I wouldn't get it. Mine is about 3 years old and it's just becoming possible to put the dipstick back in without too much of a fight. It goes all the way to the bottom, and hits a lip, and refuses to go in. I guess you take the time to ben tthe tip, and make sure it goes back in the same way eveytime. But I was pretty bitter about spending that much money for a pain in the ass.

But I think I'm going to have to have it.
Here's the deal. I'm running a serpentine setup (with reverse rotation pump), with only the crank, water pump, and alternator. I've been running March brackets for a/c and p/s delete, which only mounts a late model tensioner on the driver side, so the belt has something to go around on that side so the water pump can spin the right way. But I don't like it.
The alternator bracket is adjustable, so I took everything off the driver side, and just ran the belt from the crank to the alternator and it has a little bit of belt wrap on the water pump.
By the time I get the belt tight enough to where I don't fear that it will slip on the water pump pulley (for lack of sufficient belt wrap), I believe that it is just too tight, because twice now the alternator bolt broke off in the head.

My solution is to use a late model alternator bracket, which intereferes with the front dipstick tube, and use a Lokar flexible tube to go around it. The late model bracket mounts a tensionor right next to the alternator, and all I have to do then is find a tensioner that will pull up on the belt from inside rather than push down on it from the outside.

BTW, I saw this bracket setup Sunday at the track on a fox body coupe with a carb'd 351w with a single turbo. It was sonic blue with yellow flames. :nice: He ran 5.84 in the 1/8th.

68stang351 said:
My solution is to use a late model alternator bracket, which intereferes with the front dipstick tube, and use a Lokar flexible tube to go around it. The late model bracket mounts a tensionor right next to the alternator, and all I have to do then is find a tensioner that will pull up on the belt from inside rather than push down on it from the outside.

BTW, I saw this bracket setup Sunday at the track on a fox body coupe with a carb'd 351w with a single turbo. It was sonic blue with yellow flames. :nice: He ran 5.84 in the 1/8th.

5.80's is DAMN fast !! PM 12sec67. We both use the 5.0 bracket and flipped the alternator up. Mine is back down, but he has the stock dipstick. I think he may have put a slight bend in it.

you can see the cut mark where 10secgoal trimmed the top half of the bracket for me
alt7kv.jpg

the dipstick has a soft bend in it to get around the bracket which makes it nice and tight
alt17jc.jpg

third shows the adjustment bracket that i purchased from a local Home Depot... yes the water pump pulley and the belt barely hit but i haven't had any issues as a regular trips to work 20 miles away or an 1 1/2 hour drive to knotts berry farm or at the track to race
alt24ca.jpg

My setup is exactly the same except my bracket is March, it is adjustable like yours, and the belt wrap is the same. I guess I'm just tightening it too much, I'll just try to keep running it that way.

Is that a fox body radiator? I've been thinking that a 3 row fox radiator would work good in my car and also have the lower outlet on the side I need it. I measured the one in my wifes 90 GT and I thought it would fit fine.

Thanks