Anyone with 3.73's wish they had gone w/ 4.10's ?

• Sponsors (?)

I have 4.10 and I drive to RI from PA. It is not fun. Where I got my gears done the f^&ked them up. I have a loud ass whinning noise. So I think that I am going with the 3.73. Really what performance difference is there really?

4:10s

When I first got my gears, I thought I ordered 3:73's. After they were installed I was satisfied, but was wishing I got the 4:10's....come to find out, 5 months down the road, I had 4:10's all along HA! The moral of this story:
Don't Fear The Gear! :hail2:

Gears

I just got 3.73's and like them very much. Once in a while I kinda wish I had gone 4.10's but since most of my driving is highway-the 3.73's make more sense. The 3.73's are probably the perfect city/highway gear. Can't complain. :nice:

I also have the 3.73 and I am happy with them. When they were first installed I noticed a big change over stock gears but now I am used to them. I am not planning to go to 4.10s because I hope to add a SC some time in the future.

I will probably get a new daily driver someitme this year and then I can start fixing the stang to make it more of a weekend warrior.

Enjoy.

Xanax said:
Gear threads have been beat to death and I belive any gears are
better than stock.

What he said. Either 3.73's or 4.10's are hell of a lot better than stock. If your gonna go supercharger then get 3.73's, if your staying N/A go with 4.10's. The real question everyone wondering about gears should be......Do I want mad acceleration(4.10's) or do I want to drive 80+ on the highway all the time(3.73's)??? 4.10's = fun. It's not like your adding NOS!! Does anybody really think that going ten more miles per hour on the highway is gonna get you there a lot faster? Not if your pulled over all the time by cops!!! There are a zillion threads that talk about gears on here. I wish people would learn about the wonderful world of the search forums/threads option!!! :bang:
Just go 4.10's and quit all that nonsense of fearing the gear.

373's

I like my 373's. I don't like the fact that when you shift into 4th gear at 6000 rpm you are only going about 85 mph. With my rev limiter raised the way it is I don't have to bang 4th until I hit about 100 mph with my 373's. Can pull to about 130 mph in 4th vs. 112 mph in 4th with 410's. 410's in my opinion are only good for the 1/4 mile, not in the real world of street driving, too many cars will very quickly catch and pass you on the highway, ie. 350Z's, G35's, etc. Let the flaming begin, I am not going to read this thread again anyway.

JOHNS01GT said:
What he said. Either 3.73's or 4.10's are hell of a lot better than stock. If your gonna go supercharger then get 3.73's, if your staying N/A go with 4.10's. The real question everyone wondering about gears should be......Do I want mad acceleration(4.10's) or do I want to drive 80+ on the highway all the time(3.73's)??? 4.10's = fun. It's not like your adding NOS!! Does anybody really think that going ten more miles per hour on the highway is gonna get you there a lot faster? Not if your pulled over all the time by cops!!! There are a zillion threads that talk about gears on here. I wish people would learn about the wonderful world of the search forums/threads option!!! :bang:
Just go 4.10's and quit all that nonsense of fearing the gear.
I know I can't agree more John.

I originally got 3.73...they sat around my house for like 5 months uninstalled. The whole time i was doing the SAME research you are...3.73 or 4.10s!?!? So i said "F" it! I exhanged my 3.73 for 4.10s with a mustang company (no extra cost) :D installed the 4.10s..man-o-man do i love them.

The ONLY problem i have with them right now, is my top end is like 110-120mph. As opposed to the 150mph it WAS with the 3.27 rear end. I believe this is due to my AODE Automatic Transmission. Once i get a 5spd T45 in that 5th gear should get me the top end back that i want. And i do a lot of highway driving. And even in my AODE i think its fine. RPMS are at like 3500 though at a cruise at like 80mph. But like i said, when i get the 5spd it will be fine again. Go 4.10s!

Make sure the guy that installs the gears shims them right, other wise you will get a "whining" coming from the rear end while cruising on the highway, or reving the car with your foot on and then off the gas. A guy at Ford did mine for $200 after hours :D Also, it cost me an additional $83 for stuff like Gear oil that you need etc. If you live in NJ i can hook you up with the same guy that did mine.

01TrueBlueCobra said:
If you having a hard time deciding then just go with 3.90's. :banana:

First off.. I hear 3.90s are made of a very soft metal and need replacing after a like 20-50,000 miles. :notnice:

Secondly, I would DEFINETLY go ONLY with FRPP Gears. Forget Richmond or anything else. FRPP has the strongest metal gears.

Slider said:
The only real con of 4.10s is on the highway, that is if you like to drive fast.

4.10@80mph = 2876 rpm
3.73@80mph = 2617 rpm

4.10@75mph = 2697 rpm
3.73@75mph = 2453 rpm

Are those actual numbers you got while driving, or from a gear/speed calculator?

I have noticed that the gear calculators are way off for me and I was looking for actual numbers.

For example, it shows that with stock 3.27s, I should be at 67 mph at 2k rpm, but at 2k rpm, my speedo is dead on 76mph..

Matt

03trubluGT said:
Are those actual numbers you got while driving, or from a gear/speed calculator?

I have noticed that the gear calculators are way off for me and I was looking for actual numbers.

For example, it shows that with stock 3.27s, I should be at 67 mph at 2k rpm, but at 2k rpm, my speedo is dead on 76mph..

Matt

The calculator is off b/c you have a 3650 not a 45 transmission.