Anyone with a 347 using the stock radiator???

Davin

Founding Member
Mar 9, 2000
Jacksonville, FL
My build starts in a week or two and I'm wondering if I'd have overheating problems with a (new) stock radiator. Fluidyne is sweet but expensive. Anyone doing this or know someone doing it? This will be a street driven 347 with about 9.4:1 compression and a mild cam....

• Sponsors (?)

I know you don't wanna hear this but..........

Besides pushing you harder back in the seat, another by-product of more power is HEAT.

Most peeps who take their combo beyond a few mods and start to make some serious power have had to beef up their cooling system, that is just how it goes and thats just one more example of...........

If you wanna play....................

You gotta pay!

Later
Grady

Wow, I changed my stock rad to a Steeda years ago when I put the heads, cam, etc. in there. I couldn't imagine running a 347 with the stock rad. Heat robs power like mentioned. I know it's expensive but it's money well spent especially here in Florida. The Steeda rad knocked off 20-30 degrees easy.

Besides the inefficiency of our radiators, our cars are all over 10 yo now and 347 or not, it's time to put one in.

My (personal) Advice: Go ahead with the 347......be ready to to spend the money for the Fluidyne, but go ahead and try the stocker with a good flush first. It doesnt hurt to try the stock one as long as youre prepared to to spend the money if need be.

RC

I have a 3 core radiator from pep boys (unfortunatly, they don't make it for 94/95's) I just did a 347 a few weeks ago and I noticed it runs appx 15* hotter than my 302 did. I'm guessing its the extra compression causing it. It doesn't run too hot or overheat though. My compression is 11:1. On average my car will run around 195* in the day time and 185-190* at night.

I would have that radiator flushed/boiled if you wanna try it.

right now on my 331 i have the stock rad. i havent had the extra funds to upgrade to any type of performance rad (having a baby, buying a house), but i will this winter/next spring.
like Mike said, that Pep Boys one is a nice/cheap one, but the Fluidyne is probably the best your gonna get!