Anyone with a Ford front end mask?

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Hello,

I have a brand new factory front end mask/bra for the '94. I was lookin at installing it for a bit here (Danny, Matt, Patrick, other detailers, stop cringing - I am going to take marring precautions).

I tossed it on loosely and read the pictorial instructions and I dont see how this thing will fit. If I attach it to the bumper cover in the wheel well, it wont attach on the otherside by about a mile and nothing lines up. If I have to, Ill set it in the sun for a bit, but it is 105* outside, so I figure this thing should be pretty loose already.

Any tips or tricks? If it did not have part numbers on it, I would have thought it was for another stang. I figured it wise to ask before driving my self nuts for an hour. :)

Thanks for any input anyone has!

• Sponsors (?)

wytstang said:
:lol: When I read the title I was like your kiding me. :rlaugh:
I hear ya Danny (I knew you would be ready to pounce). Those threads kill me - the great debates where bra users are slammed for not using transparent film. Then the poster replies that the paint is not perfect and that they dont want the imperfections sealed and highlighted. I dont plan on leaving it on indefinately (I might not leave it on at all - I just want to see what it looks like). My paint is far from perfect (dark red metallic).

Danny, you and I can go into business selling special tape to seal the painted surface, so if the bra flaps (marrs), the tape protects the paint. There is some film some folks use, but I was not sure how permanent it is. I will do it with stuff I have instead.

That is, if I cant get the bra on the car. :bang: It looks like it would work easy if I did not have to wrap the bra around into the wheel well an inch or so to grab the edge of the bumper cover. Those couple inches would help. :shrug:

Put it on, then call the company and say that IT messed up your paint, so they can give you liek $200....one of my tricks i've been meaning to try....BTW-i have a spare "bra" sitting around, coulda given it to you for nothing :D

JT, we do those at my dad's shop every now and then. You gotta let it sit out for a while in the sun so it will stretch out. Then they're still a PITA to get to fit, but they're supposed to be pretty snug afterwards so the wind doesn't rip them off.

On another note................ you know leaving that bra on for a while will make the paint under it not fade with the rest of the hood right? :D And if you have dirt or anything under there, forget it! :D

At our shop, we do a clear bra. It's basically a big clear adhesive sheet that we wrap the whole front end of the car with, then stretch and bend it to fit. It turns out real nice, you can't even see it's there, and it is SUPER strong!

CManT1914 said:
At our shop, we do a clear bra. It's basically a big clear adhesive sheet that we wrap the whole front end of the car with, then stretch and bend it to fit. It turns out real nice, you can't even see it's there, and it is SUPER strong!

Sounds like that clear **** that Ford used on my Ranger at the bottom of the door. I peeled it off as soon as I got the truck because of the outline .... but it did keep the colors matching. Does the one you use cover the fenders, too? I don't see how a line would not be visible......

CManT1914 said:
JT, we do those at my dad's shop every now and then. You gotta let it sit out for a while in the sun so it will stretch out. Then they're still a PITA to get to fit, but they're supposed to be pretty snug afterwards so the wind doesn't rip them off.

On another note................ you know leaving that bra on for a while will make the paint under it not fade with the rest of the hood right? :D And if you have dirt or anything under there, forget it! :D

First, Patrick. Thank you for the offer buddy. This is a Ford OEM front end mask, so I dont think I can call anyone. :lol: I do appreciate the offer though. :nice:

Thank you for the reply Chris. :nice:
Yeah, I dont plan on leaving it on indefinately. I am going to lay down some not too sticky tape in the critical areas so that if the bra tries to chafe, it will be chafing tape (tape will be sitting on acrylic sealant, so that should work).
My paint is not great - the bra might hide a dent that was on the car when I got it. I have already touched up a couple of spots that were oxidized, so color matching is not a biggie (if I ever have money, I will replace a few things and paint it).

I am familiar with the products like the 3M clear bra - is that what you install (if so, my hat's off to you - it looks/sounds like a super PITA to install). If I had fresh paint, you bet I would do that. But I dont want to seal in inperfections and chips. :D During Monsoon season, they are using bulldozers to clear rock from roads - not nice. Hence a reason to try the bra.

Great idea though (just not for me at this time). I will toss the thing in the sun and let it get gooey hot and squeegy it on. :lol: I still cant figure out how it will fit - like the angles are wrong. I'm a big guy - I will let y'all know when I tear it in half trying to get it on there. :D

Thanks again guys!

Actually, those clear bras are nice for about....a week.

I have seen so many cars come to our dealership to be washed and when normally a rock would hit and bounce off, tiny rocks from the highway embed themself in the clear bra + your paint. Looks just super. :D

i'll take pics of where the previous owner had a bra on my car...it ****ed my paint up. Just be careful, when we took the bra off...there was a tree in there, a long with a truckload of gravel and dirt...not pretty.

wytstang said:
If we can design a microfiber strip with 3m double sided tape to hold it in place hmmm $$$$$$$$$$ lol.
I like the idea. :nice: It will be a package deal - we will figure out how to make chin spoilers too and sell them both. :D

I have the bra in the oven right now - it has been in at 350*F for 45 mins so far. J/K. I did not get around to it today.

Kevin, Interesting stuff about the clear masks. That is the first ding I have read about them (Danny might have read something - I dont pay that much attention to a lot of threads).

Matt, I have seen bras where no one ever took them off. Tree sap under one is pretty nice too. I have had several cars with bras and they worked alright. I just could not get this POS on the car without really forcing it. That just did not 'feel' right.

If I ever paint the car, I do think I might have to make a pilgrimage out to Texas and see Chris :D (Kevin, whatever brand that was you were talking about - I dont want it! LOL).

Thanks again guys!

leather bra's are just stupid in my opinion. I would only put one on if I were going on a cross country trip and had to drive at night (bugs). I have one for my SN-95, but I only use it when I have to drive more than 100 miles. Otherwise it will just scratch the chit out of the caa. But you know that. My ford factory cover fits like a glove on my Cobra, but on a Mustang, it was a W**re. Supposedly it was a Mustang/Cobra bra for SN-95. Wait, maybe.... it's not real ford and is a wolf? hmmmmmm?

I guess I can't help much then