Anyone With an '85 SVO Help Me Out?

Reed

Mar 31, 2005
BC, Canada
I have a 1993 5.0 that I'm the process of converting over to 5 lug.

I have the oppurtunity this coming week to buy an entire rear end (axle/differential housing, axles, calipers, etc) from a 1985 SVO.

I want to know if the rear end in these cars is 7.5 inch, because I assumed they had 8.8s in them. Also, I'm wondering what ratio the gears came in with stock, 3.55? 3.73? Does the bolt pattern on the axles match that of present day mustangs?

Anything else I should know about these cars and the rear end?

Thanks a lot!

• Sponsors (?)

The 84' SVO came with a 3.45 rear gear and the rest was 3:73's.

Anyways, a 7.5 may not hold up to the torque that a V8 can dish out. I woud stick with your exsisting 8.8 rear end and simply convert it to a 5lug. I think people simply use axle/brake parts off a Ford Ranger to do this with. Here is a site that should have everything you need to know about brake swap on almost every stang. http://svo73mm.cjb.net/

The link didn't work actually, but I have a good list of the parts I need already, thanks though. I went and checked out the thing again after doing a little more research and it looks like it's an 8.8, so possibly the guy is mistaken or someone had already swapped in an 8.8 and kept the existing 5-lug parts from the SVO. Well, gonna do a little more research and give the guy a call tomorrow.

Thanks again.