Anyone with any knowledge of business law?

95WhiteVenom

Founding Member
Oct 27, 2002
Alabama
Well here it goes. My wife has been getting sick along with all of her other co-workers. It's cause her to miss work a few times and recently she got a rash. It's been bugging her for a day or two she said.
Well I find out yesterday other people she works with two have the same rash.
One of her co-workers does a little investigating and find out they have a really bad mold problem in the building she works in and this is what is causeing all the problems.
Everything has since gotten a little crazy.
State board is coming to inspect the building next week.
My wife and the others with the rash went to their HR manager and she said that they would have to pay for their own doctor visit at their family doctor.
Problem being we don't have insurance and it will probably be expensive.
One of the people she works with has gotten them a lawyer and plans to take action after the state board inspection.
Their is a possibility that her work could get shut down till the company has the proper repairs done.

As far as all this goes I have no idea what could come out of it does anyone have any info as to how these things go or what could happen?

Sorry its a little long I tried to make it as short as I could.

• Sponsors (?)

I work in sales for a property restoration company, and our company does mostly fire/water/smoke mitigation, but plenty of mold/asbestos abatement as well. Both commercial and residential.

It could be a mold problem or worst case a MRSA issue (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus...give it a Google). That being said, even toxic mold is HARMLESS unless you have the specific allergy for it. Over the last 10 years people have been taking insurance companies for a ride (especially here in CA) with this stuff after someone in TX got cancer from mold and died. Now that insurance has stopped including mold coverage in property coverage, wouldn't you know it, people can deal with it again!

It does however sound like this building has issues and there is legit concern...mold spores travel via air and if mold gets into the HVAC ect it can easily spread throughout. Lesson for the day = if you see mold in a wet area, DONT try to dry the area with fans, you'll only spread the issue!

That building will be shut down for some period of time at some point for repairs and the businesses there will either be compensated in one of several ways depending on who's at fault. All expenses for DR appt's will be on you until more investigations are done, but keep on top of the lawsuit so you can get reinbursed ect later. The building owner policy should take care of the repairs and lost tenant business/content damage ect as it's an issue with the structure. The health end of this will be a separate liability issue all together and will likely drag for a bit. Keep pictures and DR appt record ect showing that your wife and others are suffering the same symptoms, because the insurance company will do what they can to prove that it's a monkey see-monkey do situation with some folks looking to get a payday.

Let me know if you have any other questions :D

http://www.gallagherconstructionservices.com/map.htm

In fact check this link out, it's for an Insurance Brokerage that writes policies for building owners/businesses/property managers ect. This is info for them regarding how they protect them from mold cases, they're selling them protection against these sorts of cases if they buy the policy through them! That being said they also provide preventative maintenance tips and instruction so mold never happens in the first place. Who knows how long the people that be knew about the mold issue before they decided to act, that will be a big factor in the outcome...

This is why it need to be a well documented case ect and you know they're going to try to get everything cleaned up asap in hopes to sweep things under the rug :nono:

Sorry for the info overload!

We already did pics off the rash. OSHA is coming and has been notified. The whole thing has caused some drama for her at work. I'm not looking to get paid but i wouldn't be against it. She is doing good so far with it and they are going to start next week when the state board comes to get all the needed documentation.
Thanks for the info guys.