Anyone with Daily Driver or close to it with staggered wheel setup?

When you have a larger rear tire the handles different. since the tire in smaller in the front, you get pronounced understeer.

F1 car arnt staggered...

By the way, F1 cars have always run staggered setups until the recent tire rule change forced them to go to equal sizes. It wasn't by choice the teams did this, it was a cost savings instituted by the FIA. Indy car teams still run staggered setups. Any wheel/ tire combo can be made to handle thru your suspension setups. Because of my blower, my car does not push thru the corners, it has on the power controled oversteer, but it will push if I let off of the throttle because of too high of entrance speed.

• Sponsors (?)

i run staggered year round. 315 nitto drags in back, 275 nitto 555's up front.

Like srt dueche said you get some understeer, but the look is awesome and when you gotta go and warm those nittos up, the traction is awesome.

I say go for it.

Also, i got just over 25k out of a set of 315 nitto drag radials.

i run staggered year round. 315 nitto drags in back, 275 nitto 555's up front.

Like srt dueche said you get some understeer, but the look is awesome and when you gotta go and warm those nittos up, the traction is awesome.

I say go for it.

Also, i got just over 25k out of a set of 315 nitto drag radials.

did you drive the 315 drag radials in the rain before? i was wondering if they can be driven on the rain without problems...

did you drive the 315 drag radials in the rain before? i was wondering if they can be driven on the rain without problems...

I've driven my 315 Nitto DR's in the rain for the past 2 years, and I just recently sold them to fund some drag wheels and tires. I put 315 Sumitomo street tires on, and they are far worse in the rain than my Nitto drags were...if that puts it in perspective for you. I had over 12k and 10-15 track days on them when I sold them, and they were at about half tread.

I've driven my 315 Nitto DR's in the rain for the past 2 years, and I just recently sold them to fund some drag wheels and tires. I put 315 Sumitomo street tires on, and they are far worse in the rain than my Nitto drags were...if that puts it in perspective for you. I had over 12k and 10-15 track days on them when I sold them, and they were at about half tread.

It's winter time now and I took off my Nitto drag radials (305/35/18) and replaced them with street tires since I heard I might spin out in the rain.

You had no problems spinning out under "normal" driving conditions with the DR's mounted?

The under steer isn't that severe; Don't over exaggerate that fact if you don't drive one on a daily basis SRT.

Is there under steer? Yes, a bit, in fact very little.
Is it something that isn't controllable? Not in the least. In fact, you'd rather have UNDER steer than OVER steer any day of the week.

What's the benefits? Rear end grip if you need it and if your rear suspension is SET UP for it. Mine is, yours may or may not be.

What's the downsides? Obviously, no tire rotation. Is that a big deal? Not really, my front tires lasted over a year and over 18k miles, and I drive my car daily and for work. Also, I beat the **** out of it in the turns.

I would have to disagree but i would rather have a car with a slight bit of oversteer than any understeer.

Understeer is set up mainly for novice drivers because a novice has a very hard time controlling oversteer than understeer. The thought of understeer scares me. When me car was in stock suspension, i has a large amount of lift-off understeer which scared me and i had very bad encounters with at Willow Springs.

car designers know that a smaller tire in the front will result in understeer. Designers use smaller tires in the front to create understeer for a safer everyday drive.

when lotus was designing the Elise it originally had a tire set up with the same size on all 4. it handled great with just a tad of oversteer but mainly neutral. After further testing they determined that the over steer was too much of a scare for the average driver, so they equipped the car with smaller tires in the front to create understeer which is safer. Lotus knew that the Exige was for more hardcore drivers so the car was supplied with same size tires on all for to bring back the original set up of grip and slight oversteer.

before i bought me 17x9s i tried putting some 17x8 inch front and 17x10.5 in the rear (Borrowed) and tracked at willow springs. You do notice the understeer at corner entry with this set up. Its a big strange and the only way to correct is power over.

with 17x9 all around i have a neutral corner entry and a slight bit of lift off over steer when in the corner. If i take a corner properly (not pushing the throttle till i dont have to let off again in the corner) then i have a completely neutral set up.

I have my car set up right now to mostly oversteer if i want it to...but i have tried to eliminate understeer completely.

Too much oversteer is bad, too much understeer is bad too....you just have to find the neutral set up. I know for myself i can achieve a faster lap time with a car that has oversteer at corner entry

SRT...I understand what you are saying. Since track time may be a part of your cars use then it may matter to you more than others. In my case, I'm in Colorado. We have no real tracks to speak of that aren't a 1/4 mile long. My car will also see the auto-x course once a year. Other than that, I just drive it around town and on cruises and such. It is an interesting debate though. I prefer the look of staggered as well overall :D

It's winter time now and I took off my Nitto drag radials (305/35/18) and replaced them with street tires since I heard I might spin out in the rain.

You had no problems spinning out under "normal" driving conditions with the DR's mounted?

I had no problems spinning out with the drag radials in the 2 years that I daily drove on them. I put on a set of 315 Sumitomos and they spin a million times easier in the rain! I spun out, and cracked up my front bumper with the Sumi's, I never even had any close calls with the Nittos.

I had no problems spinning out with the drag radials in the 2 years that I daily drove on them. I put on a set of 315 Sumitomos and they spin a million times easier in the rain! I spun out, and cracked up my front bumper with the Sumi's, I never even had any close calls with the Nittos.

thanks for the info :) Sumitomos are also really expensive tires.

SRT, what is your suspension set up ATM?

If your car was set up similar to mine, I'm sure you would prefer the slight understeer versus oversteer. Like you said, you can easily control US with the throttle, while the same can't be said about OS.

OS, especially snap OS, is no fun at all.

Snap oversteer indicates a suspension problem, unless you're talking about trailing oversteer. 300 ZXs, early 911s and others had severe trailing over steer issues. The problem with that is, if corner entrance speed is too fast, the reaction is to let off of the gas. That's when the trailing oversteer snaps you around and you are along for the ride hoping you don't hit anything. Still, the fastest way thru a corner is off the throttle early and on the power early. There's no better thrill then a little power oversteer coming off the corner. I'd take a little oversteer any day over under steer.

SRT...I understand what you are saying. Since track time may be a part of your cars use then it may matter to you more than others. In my case, I'm in Colorado. We have no real tracks to speak of that aren't a 1/4 mile long. My car will also see the auto-x course once a year. Other than that, I just drive it around town and on cruises and such. It is an interesting debate though. I prefer the look of staggered as well overall :D

Isn't the road course in Pueblo still there? I ran some SCCA road races there in the 80s.

SRT, what is your suspension set up ATM?

If your car was set up similar to mine, I'm sure you would prefer the slight understeer versus oversteer. Like you said, you can easily control US with the throttle, while the same can't be said about OS.

OS, especially snap OS, is no fun at all.

-Eibach Sportline Springs
-Tokico 5-Way Sport Shocks
-Suspension Techniques Front Sway Bar
-OEM Ford Cobra Rear Sway Bar
-Suspension Techniques End-Links
-Maximum Motorsports K-Member Brace
-Maximum Motorsports Subframe Connectors
-Maximum Motorsports Adjustable Lower Control Arms
-Ford Racing/03' Cobra A-Arms
-UPR Bumpsteer Kit
-PBR/Cobra Caliper (Painted Black)
-Stainless Steel Braided Lines
-RotorPros Slotted Rotors
-Hawk Pads
-OEM 17x9 2003/2004 Cobra Wheels (Machined Finish)
-275/40ZR17 Nitto 555

As of right now i dont have snap oversteer, i have a pretty neutral set up with controlled over steer with added throttle out of a corner. Understeer is very apparent in corner entry if i brake to late because of the front car. dont experience the understeer very much because i practice braking alot. In a turn there is always only one perfect place to go on the brakes and come off, finding the place everytime can make you very fast in the corners.