Anyone with Fox Lake or VT Stage 2s and Comp xe262ah ?

Ken01GTvert

Aug 27, 2003
Colorado
Got the heads off the car and just trying to figure out what would be best to go with my otherwise stock n/a. Does anyone have Fox Lake or VT Stage 2's with Comp xe262ah? Questions are:

1) is there much lope with this setup (i want to minimize lope and rough idle)
2) how much hp can i expect to gain
3) do i need a tune with this setup?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

1) It will have a noticeable idle fa sho
2) a million bajillion
3) Yes.

How does one run a VT stage 2 cam with the xe262 cam at the same time?

The 262 is comparable with the stage 1 cam if Im not mistaken.

Hope you have/will-get gears after your cam install. You lose low end, and need the gears to make up for it.

Also look into valve springs.

I think he's talking about VT/Fox Lake st 2 heads with Comp 262ah cams.

Yes you will get some lope but not too much. You will definately need a tune. You should gain a good 30rwhp and more if you uncork the exhaust/Intake tract to take advantage of the heads/cams.
Its a good start so do it.

Yea, I meant Fox Lake or VT Stage 2 heads with comp 262 cams. I've got 3.73s already in so that should help with the low end. I plan to open up the intake with Accufab and C&L components and thinking about shorty headers and magnaflox xpipe.

With my set-up (PI intake, 70mmTB, Trickflow Plenum. Stock NPI heads) I dynoed at 208HP on the Dynojet. After the 262H's (comparible on the NPI heads) cams, I took my car to be tuned on a Mustang Dyno and I got 230HP. If I had to guess I gained 30HP with just the cams if I'd made a run on the Dynojet. The heads should put you over 40.

There is a little lope to the 262's but not bad. I like it myself.

Ken01GTvert said:
Yea, I meant Fox Lake or VT Stage 2 heads with comp 262 cams. I've got 3.73s already in so that should help with the low end. I plan to open up the intake with Accufab and C&L components and thinking about shorty headers and magnaflox xpipe.

don't waste your money on shorty headers, atleast go with a mid lenth if not longtubes. Shorties are not worth the expense and hassle. A high flow mid pipe is a must and the Accufab pieces will aid alot with the heads/cams.

From what I've seen looks like 30hp from the cams are around the norm...but here's the deal....cams are $550 and you get about 30hp....Stage II heads are $1,800 but the gain is only 10-15 hp more? I'm wondering if I'm better off just getting the cams and spending the money i planned to on heads for long tubes and intake pieces.

well if you can wait a week Ill get my dyno and be able to give you some numbers on head and cam. only thing is they will be abit off due to the LT's and h-pipe i had put in at the same time... but a ballpark anyway.

LOL your pimpin that quote from getonit arent you rick.

Ken01GTvert said:
From what I've seen looks like 30hp from the cams are around the norm...but here's the deal....cams are $550 and you get about 30hp....Stage II heads are $1,800 but the gain is only 10-15 hp more? I'm wondering if I'm better off just getting the cams and spending the money i planned to on heads for long tubes and intake pieces.

You could do that and just get the cams, but do you think you'll be wishing you did everything after you took the heads off instead of just putting the cams in? Maybe its "only 10-15hp", but the head + cam combo is the big power adder here for the N/A cars. If you will have the money for LT's, midpipe and intake/TB after doing heads and cams, then get the heads. If all you will be able to afford is the heads and cams, then scrap the heads, install the cams and get exhaust and plenum/TB.

Do you plan on staying na or getting blown? Sounds like you plan on staying na since youre getting non blower cams installed.

If you want to get every last possible horsepower out of the 2v motor, then heads are a must. But IMO I think gears/cam/full exhaust provide better bang for the buck.

I plan to stay N/A for the next year but if there's a cam out there similar to the Comp xe262ah and it keeps my options open for a twin screw down the road then I would opt for that. I haven't done much research on blower cams. I see that VT has a Stage 2 and Stage 3 blower cam but I'm sure that's going to give me more erratic idle the the Comp. I wonder if there's a Stage 1 blower cam out there that is more like the 262?