Anyone with TwEECer Run Autometer Wideband?

94GTLaserRC

Squint as you approach, lest you be blinded by my
15 Year Member
If so...here is the question. Once you account for the plug-in wires, the ground and then the power wires, there are 3 left.....Tan for the WOT on TB (which I dont need) and then a blue and a black/blue wire, which according to the diagram is for a data logger. Wes is having me wire the Autometer to the empty EGR harness and we can log voltage from that. WE're not 100% sure which of the 2 wires (blue or blue/black) is the sole wire that is needed for the connection to the EGR. Wes is trying to find out but if someone else knows already, please chime in.
Thanks
RC

• Sponsors (?)

Is this being used with its own "wide" band o2 sensor? It does not tap into the existing stock o2's...right?

Most autometer o2 guages are more fancy light shows than an actuall wide band. I have not checked since I got my LC-1 but I was not aware of an autometer wide band kit.

I know some have used autometer guages with wideband o2's to be a "read out" and that is why I ask. I have thought about this as the guages are a 'bit" cheaper than from wideband makers.

I am fairly sure as Wes is involved that this would be a real wide band but I was just curious. I am not questioning/bashing/flamming...just curious.

Good luck

Is this being used with its own "wide" band o2 sensor? It does not tap into the existing stock o2's...right?

Most autometer o2 guages are more fancy light shows than an actuall wide band. I have not checked since I got my LC-1 but I was not aware of an autometer wide band kit.

I know some have used autometer guages with wideband o2's to be a "read out" and that is why I ask. I have thought about this as the guages are a 'bit" cheaper than from wideband makers.

I am fairly sure as Wes is involved that this would be a real wide band but I was just curious. I am not questioning/bashing/flamming...just curious.

Good luck

You dont have to be so "cautious" in your reply. Nobody that's been around awhile would flame you for questioning this :nice: Actually it IS a true wideband and it is FAIRLY new, which is why you probably werent aware of it. The one I have is Autometer 5778 Phantom, with sweeping color band AND digital readout. It comes with its own Bosch 02 sensor and wires to hook up to data logger. Wes told me that since I have an open EGR harness, we can tap in one of the wires to read the voltage on the TwEECer displayed as the EGR but in reality is from the wideband, which will help with datalogging. Wes has used this method, but at the time I talked with him, wasnt sure of the color of the wire used. He will be getting back with me, but I thought I would shoot the question this way just in case. SInce it's new, this post is probably more educational than problem solving.

Thanks
RC

Whip out that volt meter. ;)

Pretty sure it's at 9 o'clock if you hold the blank EGR harness plug hole at 12 o'clock.

Rule out the 5v hole and it's a 50/50 shot.

On the wideband you'll want to get it in the exhaust and the car running - the wire you want will be sitting around 2-3volts. There's a PDF from Autometer that gives the exact transfer, I forget what it is offhand.

You can do it! :nice:

Wes

Whip out that volt meter. ;)

Pretty sure it's at 9 o'clock if you hold the blank EGR harness plug hole at 12 o'clock.

Rule out the 5v hole and it's a 50/50 shot.

On the wideband you'll want to get it in the exhaust and the car running - the wire you want will be sitting around 2-3volts. There's a PDF from Autometer that gives the exact transfer, I forget what it is offhand.

You can do it! :nice:

Wes

On the EGR, the prong I want (either 3 or 6 o clock) will have ZERO volts, correct?

And what you are saying is that the wire to chose (blue or black/blue) will be the one that signals 2-3volts when exhaust is flowing?

That makes sense, Im guessing those 2-3 v will be what is showing up on the TwEEcer under the EGR measurements when Im datalogging, and that's what we will be looking at in order to make adjustments? :shrug: Am I getting warm? :rlaugh:

RC

whats signal wire of the autometer?

This is from autometer, maybe it helps:

Red Wire(Power):
Connect to a fused and switched 12V positive source
that is turned on and off with the ignition switch. Place
a 3 amp automotive fuse (available commercially) in line with this connection to protect your gauge. It is
recommended that vehicles without alternators connect
this wire to a separate switch or direct to the vehicle’s
master cutoff switch. (See Sensor Heating Element Section)
Black Wire(Ground):
Connect to good engine ground.
Brown Wire(Optional Peak/Recall & Warning WOT Switch):
Connect to Wide Open Throttle Switch. Required for
Peak Recall Functionality.
Blue Wire (Optional Data Logger Signal Output):
Connect to signal input(+) or Engine Management System
or Data Acquisition unit.
Blue/Black Wire (Optional Data Logger Signal Ground):
Connect to signal input(-) on Engine Management system
or Data Acquisition Unit.

whats signal wire of the autometer?

This is from autometer, maybe it helps:

Red Wire(Power):
Connect to a fused and switched 12V positive source
that is turned on and off with the ignition switch. Place
a 3 amp automotive fuse (available commercially) in line with this connection to protect your gauge. It is
recommended that vehicles without alternators connect
this wire to a separate switch or direct to the vehicle’s
master cutoff switch. (See Sensor Heating Element Section)
Black Wire(Ground):
Connect to good engine ground.
Brown Wire(Optional Peak/Recall & Warning WOT Switch):
Connect to Wide Open Throttle Switch. Required for
Peak Recall Functionality.
Blue Wire (Optional Data Logger Signal Output):
Connect to signal input(+) or Engine Management System
or Data Acquisition unit.
Blue/Black Wire (Optional Data Logger Signal Ground):
Connect to signal input(-) on Engine Management system
or Data Acquisition Unit.

On The diagram from Autometer, it shows the blue and the black/blue going to a Data logger unit. We only need one for the EGR but by the "descriptions" you listed, it looks as though it may be the blue only wire, since it says signal output and Black/blue says signal ground.

Thanks
RC

You dont have to be so "cautious" in your reply. Nobody that's been around awhile would flame you for questioning this :nice: Actually it IS a true wideband and it is FAIRLY new, which is why you probably werent aware of it. The one I have is Autometer 5778 Phantom, with sweeping color band AND digital readout. It comes with its own Bosch 02 sensor and wires to hook up to data logger. Wes told me that since I have an open EGR harness, we can tap in one of the wires to read the voltage on the TwEECer displayed as the EGR but in reality is from the wideband, which will help with datalogging. Wes has used this method, but at the time I talked with him, wasnt sure of the color of the wire used. He will be getting back with me, but I thought I would shoot the question this way just in case. SInce it's new, this post is probably more educational than problem solving.

Thanks
RC

Rock on,

What if you dont mind saying does the Autometer W/B cost? I would imagine it would be fairly competitive in price.

Rock on,

What if you dont mind saying does the Autometer W/B cost? I would imagine it would be fairly competitive in price.

$244 plus shipping on Ebay...Performance R Us.

Same site has it now for $257. I guess they realized $244 was too cheap. I wanted THIS one specifically because it matched all my other gauges and I had a free spot on the Dash bezel. So now I will have 2 in the Clock pod...Fuel and Boost, 2 on the A pillar...WT and OP, and 2 in the bezel...Volt and A/F.

RC

$250-ish price with a guage that will be a brand most use, they are going to make a killing if its anything as accurate as the other guages.

I would say post pics...but we know that will happen anyway so go luck.

I expect that price will even go up! A lot of web sites and even one Ebay place has that same gauge for $340 already, which is more the usual price of any other Wideband.
RC

Here's the dirt on this.

http://www.autometer.com/productPDF/1143A.pdf

Both datalogging wires carry 0-4v. You set what both 0 and 4v are equal to on the gauge. I like to use 10AFR = 0V, 16AFR = 4V to give you a nice usable range. The transfer between the two points is linear (y = mx + b if you want to get nerdy).

In your datalogger you will define the transfer function, adjusting for any voltage offset. If the sensor is unplugged it should output a constant voltage so that you can check for this.

Wes

Here's the dirt on this.

http://www.autometer.com/productPDF/1143A.pdf

Both datalogging wires carry 0-4v. You set what both 0 and 4v are equal to on the gauge. I like to use 10AFR = 0V, 16AFR = 4V to give you a nice usable range. The transfer between the two points is linear (y = mx + b if you want to get nerdy).
In your datalogger you will define the transfer function, adjusting for any voltage offset. If the sensor is unplugged it should output a constant voltage so that you can check for this.

Wes
:stupid::shrug::scratch:

Actually, it DOES make sense, believe it or not.

WHen I have it connected it will all fall into place!!

RC