Anything to replace the actual ashtray with on a '87-93 besides a switch panel?!

JustaMustangguy

Aug 14, 2009
Hi guys, i need to replace my ash tray in my Mustang but i don't fee like spend $30.00 on it. Is there anything else to replace it with that is a clean install? I dont want a switch panel though. I may just end up buying a new ash tray though. Just wondering if anybody has any ideas or anytihng! Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

You can probably fit a gauge or two in there, just need to come up with some kind of trim, may come out more expensive than a new ashtray though.

I put in a change holder from a Lincoln or Turbocoupe, I don't remember which. It has the spring loaded spots for quarters,dimes & nickles. It fits pretty well, just had to cut one of the tabs on the bottom and then I hot glued it to the plastic that the ashtray sat in. That way I can remove it if necessary.

You got an auto? If so, you could always throw an aftermarket shifter in there ;)

1745217_600.jpg

1727353_600.jpg

I saw somewhere that a guy took the cup holders from an 05-09 mustang and spliced them into the 87-93 console, from the pictures it looked like it came out nice. This is something I would like to try, allow the cupholders are rather deep in my 05 so one might have to shorten them.

Check out the post in this thread
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/766885-post-custom-interior-pics.html

Years ago I saw one in a magazine where the guy placed the heater controls in that spot.

I was working on my car the other day and had the ashtry out under the car and forgot about it.....backed up and ran it over.....lol. No coming back from that.....lol. It was in a squished little pile...hahaha. Anways, hit the local pick and pull....got lucky and found one....it was a bit rusted and flaky.....wire brushed and painted....it looks like new for 1.00....Easiest thing to do is find a nother ashtray.....l8r

Ryan! don't let the opportunity to make a ton of cash slip away! Add me to the list of people who wants one of the cup holders. All you have to do is make one or use your prototype to have one molded out of ABS plastic. You could sell a TON of them. If you aren't interested or don't have the time, sell me the prototype and rights to it and I'll pursue it and give you a big cut of the earnings. Opportunity knocks! :D Haha.