Anyway to keep my car from sliding down icy hills?

I full expect to get flamed for this but that's fine as long as you post something useful too.

This is the first time I've had this problem with this Mustang, or any previous one, but twice today I've stopped on an ice/snow covered hill and the car started sliding on me. The first time it wasn't too big of a deal but the second time I nearly slid into a car and missed it by just a couple inches. Its tires were bought last year so I had them last winter without any problems. They aren't bald or anything. Any ideas? Oh and flame on!

• Sponsors (?)

So are you saying that you stopped and then with the tires 'locked' (brakes), it was sliding? Besides putting chains on your car :eek: there isn't much you can do. Try to avoid stopping on icy hills :shrug:

Find a set of cheapo steel rims in the correct bolt pattern/back spacing for your car. The more sidewall the better (so I'm thinking 15s so long as they'll fit over your brakes).

Purchase a set of soft-compound, snow tread tires and ride on.

As a temp fix, you might try dropping your tire pressure by 5 psi or so. Of course it's not a good ide to ride on low tires any more than you have to.

I solved my problem like this 3 years ago.

Bought a 95 Jeep YJ and keep the stang in the garage for the winter.

Like a new puppy the YJ loves the snow.

Don't drive it. LOL

Always try to keep a 3/4+ tank of gas, I couldn't belive how much it helped me in my old DD (not mustang). I could actually feel the car stop better and take off better with the added weight in the back. Plus your not supposed to let it get too low in the winter anyways.

I don't know if making it heavier or lighter would help. Or maybe approach at an angle?? That's about all that I can think of.

Come to think of it I haven't put the salt bags back in the car yet this year :bang: That might help...

Find a set of cheapo steel rims in the correct bolt pattern/back spacing for your car. The more sidewall the better (so I'm thinking 15s so long as they'll fit over your brakes).

Purchase a set of soft-compound, snow tread tires and ride on.

As a temp fix, you might try dropping your tire pressure by 5 psi or so. Of course it's not a good ide to ride on low tires any more than you have to.

I'll look into doing that. Thanks!

I solved my problem like this 3 years ago.

Bought a 95 Jeep YJ and keep the stang in the garage for the winter.

Like a new puppy the YJ loves the snow.

I've been looking at some used Subarus that are in the area. There a '97 Outback Wagon for $3500 with 108,000 miles on it. I'm wondering if it would be worth it.

Reimann:

+1 for what the other guys have said: full tank, snow tires on steel rims, weight in the trunk.

If you must drive in the winter then snow tires are a MUST have. You need some weight in the trunk and sandbags (wrap them in plastic so sand doesn't drain out) are needed to get the tires to 'bite' into the snow and ice. Skinnier tires are best because they cut through the the snow. Wide tires will just compress the snow and you will float on a thin layer of snow. This is not good! Look at TireRack.com and read the reviews about winter/snow tires. Blizzaks are really good, imo (and my own personal experience). If you start sliding, pump your brakes gently. Sometimes the tires just need to turn a bit to expose some fresh tread to the icy surface. The idea of pumping the brakes is to have the brakes come on gently so the tire doesn't slip too much on the ice. Practice on wet pavement (in the warm weather) or a snowy parking lot and don't get up to 50 mph, just 10 mph or so to get the feel.

GL and stay safe out there.

Chris

Did you lower your car over the summer? The stiffer front springs may prevent weight from shifting to the front..

Honestly, I drove through two Canadian (Saskatchewan) and one Ohio winter on the STOCK gatorbacks. I rarely had issues stopping. In fact, I always thought it stopped really well even when the gatorbacks were getting bald.

Now accelerating was another story. Anything more than a 2 or 3 percent grade and it was game over unless I had a good run at it.. Even with 3 or 4 sand bags in the trunk. I've even gotten out and pushed MYSELF up a hill at an intersection when the car just sits there in 1st spinning. The guy behind me must have thought WTF??

Downshifting was fun too. Watching a passenger's face as the back end slides out as I downshift from 3 to 2 was always priceless..

Now I have a 2002 focus with winter tires..

Riley

I just put my Stang away. I'm driving my Mazda B4000 pickup. It's not the best but it's 10 times better than the Stang. It does have a posi-trac rearend which diffinently helps. I throw sand bags in the bed to help with traction. it will make it's way thru the snow but it's slow going. Pearl02.

I just put my Stang away. I'm driving my Mazda B4000 pickup. It's not the best but it's 10 times better than the Stang. It does have a posi-trac rearend which diffinently helps. I throw sand bags in the bed to help with traction. it will make it's way thru the snow but it's slow going. Pearl02.

I've got a 2000 B4000. Great little 4X4 ...