AOD conversion - Neutral safety wiring?

u0061914

Aug 20, 2009
Prior Lake, MN
I need to hit a salvage yard this weekend to get the backup light/neutral safety switch plug for an AOD transmission. If I remember right, there are 4 wires coming off that plug for the AOD. My 67 has 2 wires. How do I hook this up?

Thanks

Mike

• Sponsors (?)

I took a multi-meter to the switch terminals and worked through the shift positions until I found the ones that close (near zero Ohms) when In Park and Neutral. A test light would be easier. Once I identified the two terminals on the switch I used the corresponding Plug wires and tied the rest up in a custom harness (in case I wanted to add back-up lights) that routed them into the firewall.

OK, I'll crawl under there tonight and look closer. Befor the swap, I had backup lights and the neutral safety worked ( 3 spd manual). When I dropped the stock transmission, I forgot to unplug this, so it broke the wires.
Maybe I'm missing something quite obvious :shrug:

What year is your Mustang? I didn't think manual transmissions had a neutral safety switch. later model manuals had a clutch safety switch. If your back-up lights worked before, then I would guess that those wires were for that.

Ok, I figured it out. I found some wiring diagrams and worked through it.
The black-red stripe wires that go from the plug on the firewall to the transmission are the backup lights. The red-blue stripe wire that is looped at the connector is for the neutral safety switch, which apparently is bypassed on a 67 3 speed car. I now need to hit a junkyard for the AOD connector and wire it in.

Progress!