'AOD" high Stall Torque Converter vs. Stock

Makdaddymac

May 28, 2005
orlando
hey guys WASSSSSSSUUUUUUPPPPPPPPPPP:p
well ive had my 2200 torque converter in for about 3miles(no tag etc etc.) luckily i live on a good backroad.
and i an say i really hate it, i never got to drive the auto without it, cause i bought the car with a trashed aod....but i drive my grandpa's blazer and love how the car just pulls when you press the gas!!!! like tap the pedal and the tires move,,,,with the orque converter i have now, it seems like a boat....like i have to press the **** out of it to get moving,....like i made the car slower....its stock with just the converter.
i was wondering if a stock auto vs a torque converter car. which one would be faster??????and what are the advantages of a trq converter..........

ps. maybe something is wrong with my aod cause it doesnt seem like it shifting correctly,,,,when it does shift its smooth but it feals like it takes forever to want to shift..............is there an adjustment or something.

• Sponsors (?)

well that is the nature of a converter. You are spinning the motor up to get the car to start moving. Granted a 2.2k converter is nothing dramatic...it is considerably higher than a stocker. What brand converter is it? lock up vs non-lockup? Generally the OTS converters are junk compared to something custom stalled and designed for your car.

A shift kit is something you should think about. Where is the converter stalling right now when you slowly take off? Where does it flash?

I am not a big fan of automatics. My recent project purchase has a Art Carr Aod with a 2700 stall. It takes some getting used to. It's starting to grow on me. Mine is not stayin stock and already has a shift kit and gears. It will be faster at the track but for in town driving a tight converter is where it's at.

I've got a fully custom setup including manual shift valve body and 3000 stall converter all built to my car's specs. It drives, for a lack of better term, like a mother****er. I can drive it to feel like it's still a wimpy stock transmission and I can drive it like to feel like hell is about to break through the Earth.

Throwing random parts at your car isn't the best way to go about certain things. 2200 isn't high at all. Stock is what, 1800?

By having a 3000 stall (or 2600, 2200, whatever) it doesn't mean you have to rev UP to that number before the car moves. :nonono:

The Blazer probably has steeper rear gears, which would be an invaluable modification to your Mustang. I'm sure the valve body has seen better days as well. If you don't want to do extensive work to it, you should look into a B&M or TransGo shift kit to help things stay tight. You can also adjust the peg on the throttle cable (push it back on the plastic zipper line a bit) to make it tighter too, but be careful because you can also make it worse.

I'll bet the TV cable isn't set right. The proper way is to get a gauge and screw it into the test port and set the pressure to what is recommended. Not only will it cause poor performance if it isn't set right, but it will damage the tranny in record time.

adjust the pressure???? test port on the AOD??? what!??!?!

There is a cable that has one end connected to the throttle body and the other end connected to the side of the tranny at the shifter lever. This cable controls the throttle valve pressure (TV pressure)... it has an ajustment at the throttle body end on the throttle cable bracket. This pressure must be set using a gauge that screws into a port on the passenger side of the tranny. (see pic below, yellow arrow) There will be a screw in plug that must be removed and an adapter with the same size threads as the plug on one end and a nipple on the other end. Put a hose and clamp on the nipple and the gauge at the other end of the hose and then set the pressure using the directions as shown below.

238913577-M.jpg

238921170-L.jpg

Attachments

• 238913577-M.jpg
    238913577-M.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 858
  • 238921170-L.jpg
    238921170-L.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 649
albama converters 2000-26000 non lockup....it was a a cheapy..i didt want to invest into a junkyard swapped aod..the whole thing was a budget thing. i just wanted to put a little mod in there while the tranny was down....the car drives good, but i think im gonna have to do that TV adjustment.......i just had to get the car drivable to take it back and forth to my uncles garage where i will eventually store it!!!5spd swap here i come!!!!