AOD Installed - now motor will not turn!

lucheski

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
May 19, 2004
I finished installing a replacement AOD in my 88gt. When I tried to start the car with a known good battery it just did a loud click and nothing. I put a socket and a breaker bar with extension pipe on the crank pulley to see if the motor would turn manually and it does not turn. I looked in the flexplate area under the car and didnyt see anything unusual. I have done this many times and never run into trouble like this before Do you guys have any ideas?
I am hoping to avoid pulling the tranny again it was a pain to get the input shaft slid all the way into the convertor

• Sponsors (?)

I finished installing a replacement AOD in my 88gt. When I tried to start the car with a known good battery it just did a loud click and nothing. I put a socket and a breaker bar with extension pipe on the crank pulley to see if the motor would turn manually and it does not turn. I looked in the flexplate area under the car and didnyt see anything unusual. I have done this many times and never run into trouble like this before Do you guys have any ideas?
I am hoping to avoid pulling the tranny again it was a pain to get the input shaft slid all the way into the convertor

1st clue!! it shoud have slid right in. sounds like something is binding. are you using an aftermarket torque convertor?

Now, when you say a "pain", do you mean a royal pain in the azz to get all 3 input shafts lined up? Or what?

Did you disassemble the trans at all. Did the converter move side to side in the stud holes, as it should before you bolted it up?

If you disassembled the trans, did you take apart the pump? Did the trans line right up, or did you have to pull it up with the bolts?

I took the tranny back out. I had my GF turn the motor while I watched from underneath. She was able to make almost a complete rotation or maybe a little more before it was binding. All 4 bolts on the converter were snug. I could not see anything it was hitting. I looked between the motor and the flex plate as she turned and there was nothing hitting. So I had her turn the motor the opposite direction while I pulled the 4 bolts off the converter. With the converter off the motor turned freely several complete rotations with no binding at all

I have a quick question, is there supposed to be anything or any sort of bearing between the converter and the flexplate? There was nothing

you didnt put a rag in the input to keep fluid in did you?

Nope after I got the tranny out the inside of the converter was clean

Was this aod new? Did you buy it used? How reputable was the person u bought it from?

I bought it from a guy at sextonsperformance in georgia who swapped to a T5 in a LX 5.0. He claimed no problems before the swap. I was able to turn the tranny's input shaft with my hand.

Did the converter move side to side in the stud holes, as it should before you bolted it up?
Did the trans line right up, or did you have to pull it up with the bolts?

I didnt deliberately try sliding the converter in the stud holes but I remember getting some sliding motion in the stud holes when first bolting it up and taking it out.

THe tranny tail was towards the driver side, I had to pull it on with the bolts starting from the driver's side and working towards the passenger side.