AOD shift kit suggestions?

MAC'n89Blckstng

Jun 11, 2003
NJ
I jus got an AOD LX, stock except for MAC cat back and highflow h pipe. I wanna put a shift kit in it cause the stock shifts are so slushy. I dont want a harsh bang into gear, I just want a nice firm shift. I heard the trans-go kits will bark the tires into 2nd gear and thats really not what Im looking for. Anybody have any suggestions? Remember, this is going to be my daily driver, I dont want to have to wear a neck brace when I drive this thing. haha

• Sponsors (?)

I just asked this question of my friends at Brad's Custom Auto and was recommended a Lentech valve body as a better alternative. The parts cost is higher, but the labor to install is lower and it will extend the life of a healthy transmission.

At WOT I love the way the Transgo bangs the hell out of second. Third is also firm but not as harsh (probably because by then the power is already dropping off). During normal driving though it can be somewhat abrupt but at this point I really don't notice it anymore. I only notice it when I have a passenger in the car and they're over there like wtf? lol I have roughly 50k on my Transgo kit. Like you I didn't want to spend a lot of money but the stock shifts are just plain unacceptable. For me the Transgo was pretty much the only option. My biggest complaint is the light/off-throttle shift to OD is a bit sloppy. Around town I usually keep the shifter in "D" and manually shift to OD when I need to. FWIW, this is my daily driver.

I really wanted a custom vb with the manual option but at the time it was too far out of my budget. While this car is mostly stock it's still would be nice to have full control over shifts. What I hate most is not being able to hold second gear. If I had it to do over I would probably save up for it.

B&M shift kit gives the option of 3 styles of shifting so it may be in your interest to check it out. I've been running the option 2 for 16 years and I love it. Crazy 2nd gear chirps when wot and very meek but positive shifts when throttling lightly.....perfect for overcrowded socal roads. It was a cinch to install and I believe I only paid about 40 bucks for it. Don't forget to add a trans cooler if you haven't already. I'm also using royal purple fluid.