Aod Swap

Lourdalfe

Mar 1, 2016
Hi guys I'm trying to get some things done on my 65 build thing I'm working on now is the neutral safety switch wiring and was hoping someone has a diagram so I can put the aod plug to the c4 wiring thanks Al

• Sponsors (?)

AOD Neutral Safety Switch - Making The Connection
The most often asked question from the forums seems to be “which wires on the pigtail (that plugs onto the neutral safety switch pins on the AOD) do you wire to the terminals for the backup lights and NSS?”...

aodharness000.jpg

And that still seems to be the case even though it has been said time and time again “that it does not matter so long as you get the correct pair to the correct harness terminal (i.e. NSS or Backup Switch).

With regard to how to wire the neutral safety switch and backup light harness to the AOD switches, I have confirmed that it absolutely does not matter which pin within the stated pair you connect to either the male or female side of a two wire terminal end. However, for simplicity, I will offer the following as a guide to eliminate any confusion.

This is representative of the neutral safety switch/back up lights switch connector located on the driver's side of the transmission

aodharness001.jpg
aodharness002.jpg

Reference: From Lentech Product Manual (page 23)

Image of pins on the AOD
Backup Light Switch Wiring
Referring back to the drawing above, Pin #1 and #2 are for the backup lights… When the shifter is placed in R (reverse), this will cause the switch to complete the circuit, thus illuminating the backup lights. It is a simple switch that only is closed (on) when the transmission is in reverse gear. It does not matter which post is connected to which wire (either the power feed for the backup lights or the feed to the backup lights) so long as post #1 and #2 are connected to the backup light harness from the firewall. This 2 wire terminal that you will solder to the corresponding wires on the pigtail that plug into pin #1 and #2 will connect to the red terminal end on the Neutral Safety Switch Harness coming out of the firewall.

Neutral Safety Switch Wiring
Pin #3 and #4 are used for the neutral safety switch. This will only allow the engine to crank when the transmission shifter is in park (P) or neural (N). Again it is a simple switch that is closed (on) only when the shifter is in park or neutral. This completes the circuit that allows the starter to engage. The basic circuit is from the battery side of the solenoid to the NSS (neutral safety switch) to the ignition switch back to the starter side of the solenoid.

Making The Connection

aodharness003.jpg
NOTE:

The neutral safety portion of the connector (if the transmission is equipped with a starter interrupt) has a white/pink (4) wire going in from the ignition switch and a red/light blue wire (3) going out to the starter relay. Without starter interrupt, both wires going in and out are red/light blue.

The back up light portion of the connector has a purple/orange wire (1) going in from fuse panel and a black/pink (2) wire going out to the back up lights.

You can buy a pigtail for about $20.00 that will connect the harnesses to the AOD at the switch pins or you can make your own if you have the pigtail that came with the AOD.

aodharness004.jpg

You will need to cut off from your old NSS harness the two 2-wire terminals and splice them to each pair of corresponding wires.

Backup Lights
Splice the #1 position wire on the AOD pigtail to the male bullet terminal wire (from the fuse box) on the red 2-wire terminal and the #2 position wire to the female receptacle wire terminal (to the backup lights).

Neutral Safety Switch
Slice the #3 position wire on the AOD pigtail to the male bullet terminal wire (from the ignition switch) on the other 2-wire terminal and the #4 position wire to the female receptacle wire terminal (to the starter solenoid).

If your wires on the AOD pigtail aren’t color coded exactly like above, it doesn’t matter. What matters is that the correct pairs are used. Remember, position 1 and 2 are for the backup lights. Position 3 and 4 are for the neutral safety switch… Again, since these are simple switches (i.e. mechanical), hooking them up to either wire of the 2-wire terminal will result in the same function…

Reactions: 1 user