AOD to AODE swap-what shifter?

txstang84

15 Year Member
May 21, 2005
Tuscola, tx
Ok, perhaps a couple of you guys have seen some of the chatter I've posted about swapping a 4.6 4V in my '84 GT and I'll be backing it with a 4R75. It originally was a T5 car...other things to note-the reason I'm swapping to a ratchet shifter is because I'll be running a manual valve body AODE, so I'll also need a couple switches to maintain OD, torq converter lockup, and reverse/transbrake operation.

Could someone offer a quick assist which shifter part number to use? 81001 (94-04) or 81002 (87-93)? I spoke with B&M and they confirmed the shifter mechanism is the same between the two shifter bodies and the only difference is trim pieces and attach brackets. It would seem to me, if the shifter mechanisms are the same, I'd want the one where I could at least adapt trim pieces to work (81002) but another parts outlet (unnamed) said I need to get the one intended for the transmission (81001).

They both require the use of the original shifter cable which I'll have to source anyway. The immediate noticeable difference between them is the cost-the later model is $50 more...so, needless to say, if I can save $50, and have one that is closer to original fitment, I'd like to go that route.

Any ideas or suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)