Aod To C4 Conversion In 1987 Foxbody 5.0

DM87GT

Jun 17, 2014
I just finished installing a built C4 in my 87' Mustang GT. Originally had a AOD, but the input shaft broke so I had this built C4 sitting for about a month, and just installed it without any issues. My question is: I am running a transmission cooler mounted in front of the radiator, and just installed new transmission lines on the passenger side of the C4. The return line would be in the rear of the transmission near the tail and the sending line would be near the bell housing up towards the front? Is this correct? The top nozzle on the trans cooler would be for the sending line and the bottom nozzle would be for the return line? I hope this is correct as I had a hard time finding a diagram for a C4 that had the same type of trans cooler I am running and tried to get a comparison. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

• Sponsors (?)

I just finished installing a built C4 in my 87' Mustang GT. Originally had a AOD, but the input shaft broke so I had this built C4 sitting for about a month, and just installed it without any issues. My question is: I am running a transmission cooler mounted in front of the radiator, and just installed new transmission lines on the passenger side of the C4. The return line would be in the rear of the transmission near the tail and the sending line would be near the bell housing up towards the front? Is this correct? The top nozzle on the trans cooler would be for the sending line and the bottom nozzle would be for the return line? I hope this is correct as I had a hard time finding a diagram for a C4 that had the same type of trans cooler I am running and tried to get a comparison. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

http://www.charlietranny.com/c4.htm........
C4 was used 1965-80 and C5 (which had a lockup torque converter and NOT to be confused with the C4 with the dipstick tube fastened to the pan which many people called a C5 when in fact it was just another version of the C4) was used 1981-86 in many Ford products. Ford also made a fully manual version that they called a Semi-automatic or C4S and used it in some four cylinder Falcons.

This was an hydraulically controlled rear wheel drive transmission.

Rear cooler line is the cooler return line.