Aod To C4 Swap...

MY 85 GT

10 Year Member
Mar 7, 2008
New Jersey
Anyone here do this swap?...i lost 3rd and OD in my AOD..i just dont know if i feel like re-building the AOD..I can get a c4 that is rated at 1000 hp andd a complete bolt in for my car just needs a shifter and flex plate...I just hear bad and good about the c4 any input would be great thanks...

• Sponsors (?)

I had a 90 gt back it the late 90's and it was an AOD car and a swapped it to a C4 and I loved it. If you dont mind loosing overdrive its the way to go. I had to make an extention for my crossmember due to the c4 being a little shorter but now there are adjustable crossmembers out there. c4's are strong transmissions and quite a bit lighter than aod's. I had a hurst quarter stick shifter and it fit nicely in the console and it looked wicked also. Even at 1/4 throttle it would leave a patch of rubber when it hit second. I used a 157 tooth flywheel, the driveshaft from the aod worked fine, Changed cooling lines and ran an external cooler and also you will need to run a vacuum line to the modulator valve and thats it.

Thanks for the info...i dont think i need the vac line tho this is a full reverse manual valve body...it even has a trans brake...which im not hooking up right now...lol but there if i want to...it comes with a cross member and a 3500 stall convertor from UCC...i think im going to do it..lol...

Thanks for the info...i dont think i need the vac line tho this is a full reverse manual valve body...it even has a trans brake...which im not hooking up right now...lol but there if i want to...it comes with a cross member and a 3500 stall convertor from UCC...i think im going to do it..lol...
Go ahead and hook up the trans brake. It should make for one hell of a show at a red light :)

Reactions: 1 user
hook up the brake ! you won't regret it , as far as converters I would make some calls and ask around 3500 may be a bit high for what u use it for you may need like. a 2500-2800 but don't quote me

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers

hook up the brake ! you won't regret it , as far as converters I would make some calls and ask around 3500 may be a bit high for what u use it for you may need like. a 2500-2800 but don't quote me

I think it might be a little high too..but he said that it should stall lower being my set-up is different..so it might go down to like 2800-3000 if its to high its a UCC convertor i can pull it out and they will re-stall it for me...

I dont know if im going to hook the brake up until after i do the suspension...it is a convertible i dont have the cage even in yet...lol...

Hook it up and don't use it it's less work after the fact

Yeah true...dumb question is how does it work..i know its an electric solenoid but how hard is it to hook up? i just wonder how much faster the car will be with the C4 in it...lol im sure it will be the AOD robs alot of power from what im told...