AOD Torque Converter

cwdunnet

Aug 12, 2005
toronto
i have an aod in my 87 mustang, and i was wondering because i don't want to go to the hassle of puttin a t-5 in if a toruqe converter will give me some more torque down below. and also when it says about lock-up n non lock-up i am not sure which one i need, and about the bolt circle, some say 9.5" some say 11.5" some say 12", i was told this is a good one, Ford AOD B&M 2400 Holeshot street, but i would like some input about this..thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

cwdunnet said:
i have an aod in my 87 mustang, and i was wondering because i don't want to go to the hassle of puttin a t-5 in if a toruqe converter will give me some more torque down below. and also when it says about lock-up n non lock-up i am not sure which one i need, and about the bolt circle, some say 9.5" some say 11.5" some say 12", i was told this is a good one, Ford AOD B&M 2400 Holeshot street, but i would like some input about this..thank you.
NO!! stay away from B&M converters:nono: I put a conv in my car when I still had the stock gears and WOW!! Turned it into a different car:nice:
That +Gears+ a shift kit will make it just as,if not faster then a 5spd!!
Precision Industries makes the best conv foe 5.0's but there 700 beans..Edge conv are really good to and are around 4-500...BUT,if you get a conv.,a tranny cooler is a must!!! Or you will burn out your tranny!! There only 75 bucks.

yeah i have heard b&m's aren't the greatest converters for aod's which i don't know why when thats half their business.but i have heard that....no personal experience though....

you want a lock up converter, for a street car...the lock up locks 3rd gear in, other wise it will slip more, and with a higher stall and a street car thats not good...........from what most say you want 2600 and up stall, seems like alot of guys run the 3000 stall, which is why you'd want a lock up converter and a bigger tranny cooler on the street

Just stay away from the B&M. Decent price but you can get a much better converter from www.edgeracingconverters.com or Precision Industries. The price will probably determine your choice but Edge's stuff is great in my opinion. The different diameters of stalls reduce their mass and will spool up faster but hold less fluid so they will heat up more. Trans cooler is a must with ANY aod car for added insurance.
Don't even concern yourself with the non lockup stall unless you plan on doing alot of drag racing and not much street driving. Lockup is what you've got now and unless you plan on changing your input shaft in the trans, stick with the lockup.

so look slike ima go with a 3000 street edge converter, so i will go with the lock up? and i think they 9.5" so thats good . just that i no im loosing a lot of power with the transmission i got..its like dead of start off it doesn't even wanna spin off dead stop..but its got power up top. its a rebuilt transmission with shift kit, aluminum driveshaft and 3:73 gears, and the motor makes good horsepower no reason why i shouldn't burn the tires off, only thing i can think of is the torque converter.

cwdunnet said:
so look slike ima go with a 3000 street edge converter, so i will go with the lock up? and i think they 9.5" so thats good . just that i no im loosing a lot of power with the transmission i got..its like dead of start off it doesn't even wanna spin off dead stop..but its got power up top. its a rebuilt transmission with shift kit, aluminum driveshaft and 3:73 gears, and the motor makes good horsepower no reason why i shouldn't burn the tires off, only thing i can think of is the torque converter.
If you dont have DR's traction is gonna become a "major" issue off the line:nice: When you punch it off the line the tires are just gonna smoke!! Yeah,you want the lock up:nice: But dont forget,,install a tranny cooler at the same time or it will burn up your aod!!