Approx gains from a TB and Plenum Upgrade? 70mm vs 75mm too.

• Sponsors (?)

There's no one set power gain that any part will give you, it all depends on your other mods, especially for a TB/Plenum combo.

If you are wanting to do that, I would upgrade your intake and exhaust. You already have a CAI and Cat-back, but a free flowing mid-pipe would help out a lot.

I noticed a difference with mine. Not like "OMFG!" but there was a difference.

And on a Personal note, that Professional Products part youre looking at is Made overseas, I think in China. My vote goes towards a good ole American Company, like Accufab, C&L, or BBK. But the price on that PP is decent.

As far as what size to go with, 70mm will be fine for N/A as far as I'm concerned. You may get 1/2horsepower more with the 75mm, but going that size is really only beneficial if you are planning on going with some type of forced induction later on.

I don't know about that company, but a lot of times the 70 and 75 prices are the same. Might as well go big! You should see at least 72 rwhp gain. Well, that is if you put on the included decals.

I would say 5hp min 10hp max.If you go back and research the old plenum data you will find it is more about the combo.

c&l seemed to benifit from the 75mm. Accufab was same flow with both 70 and 75.

so it depends on which plenum you chose in reality.

I just added BBK 75mm TB & P combo + K&N FIPK this weekend and I can say I noticed major improvment in power and drivability.

When I hit the gas now the car takes off like a SOB and I can rip rubber in 3rd gear too, before with the stock 65mm TB&P I could chirp 3rd now I can rip'em good.
Lets not forget how much fun freeway driving is now 5th gear is more like 4th +1/2, the sound is really sweet too. The flowmaster 40's drone is more of a low rumble now and a much nicer note on the ear.

For me the best bang for my buck since the 4.10 install over 2 yrs ago.

oh! and it looks fab too:nice: nice one BBK...:D

in the old shootout that is posted over at MD the accufab flows the most air and produced the most HP. It does not matter if you get 70 or 75mm with that.

the next best was the c&l and it did noticable better with 75mm both on the dyno and the flow bench.

then the dragon came in next but was down on torque so I never looked at it much. there was talk that it performed well boosted.

the trick flow was dead last but it also one of the cheapest.

there is part I to that artical but it was not on the main page anymore. that is where the trickflow was tested.

the BBK is too new and was not in that shootout so I don't know how it fits in.

droptopponynj said:
i went with a 75mm bbk. also much cheaper the accufab. Although i'm not downing accufab, they make really nice parts that work well. I just wasn't willing to pay for the "Bling" factor of the Polished Accufab parts.
:Word: I was close to ordering the BBK combo too, then found a used Accufab 75mm TB/Plenum on Ebay and got it for $330.

Read this Induction dyno. Its a dyno between a bolton Gt with a mac CAI (fender), and a full C&L setup (CAI, TB, plenum). And they also have a 70MM vs 75MM TB dyno too. They tuned the car with an optimizer :)shrug: never heard of it before reading this)...it JUST changes the A/F ratio by manipulating the MAF.

I attached the dyno graphs. The 75MM TB caused the car to go rich :)shrug: ) and it still made about the same as the 70. When they leaned it back out, it made more. So apparently the 70 makes more power vs the 75 when untuned...but when you tune it then the 75 is better. Thats probably why everyone syas 70 = N/A and 75 = S/C. GET THE 75MM TB! I got the 75 also. You will need a tune anyways as that stuff will lean you WAY out.

Attachments

• dyno3-7-23hp.gif
    dyno3-7-23hp.gif
    14.3 KB · Views: 191
  • dyno13-14-23hp.gif
    dyno13-14-23hp.gif
    15.1 KB · Views: 185
the mac CAI is know for messing with the A/F ratio. C&L meters are know for leaning the car out a bit.

not sure if those test are going to be completely valid.

a real good read if you search over at MD was where they flowbenched all the plenums with different TB's.

there is no univeral TB size for these plenums. people think so be different plenums do react different.

All of them (70mm v 70mm) and (75mm v 75mm) are so close in terms of what they offer +20 HP you probably couldn't tell the difference in feel factor anyway for me the 75mm BBK TB & P that I fitted this weekend was outstanding it was like putting in a new performance engine.

One of the best thing about it was the install was very easy and we had 0 problems, idle is perfect.:nice: