Approximate Value Of 1993 Ford Mustang Fox Coupe 2.3l?

Hoplite

May 22, 2015
My apologies to start out this post - I am not a car enthusiast or regular on this forum so I will probably write something silly and/or use the wrong terminology. The long story short is I am interested in getting a rough idea of what I can ask for when selling my '93 Ford Mustang Foxbody (coupe) with 230,000 miles on a 2.3L 4 cylinder engine. I tried searching here and elsewhere for information but the age of the car has made finding reliable information difficult.

I'll be honest, I hated this car for years. It's "teal" colored and as I guy I found the color terribly emasculating. It is only a 4 cylinder so it didn't have the "sports" feel either. I drove it because it was my wife's when we got married (a gift from her dad who is a mechanic) and then we had kids and she needed a bigger vehicle. The car was paid off and functioned well so I decided to drive it until it quit. I drove it and drove it and it's still driving! Over the years the car has grown on me a lot. It's just a great car all around and has been incredibly reliable. But now I'm at a place where I need a vehicle that I can put lots of miles on without issue and am looking to sell this one. I know you can't give me exact numbers and that's okay. I'm really just looking for an approximate reasonable "asking price" and maybe a reliable place to put it up for sale.

I'm not sure what information will be most helpful to know but here's some basics. It's well used but the body is in good shape. There are a few (< 10) minor dimples on the top from a hail storm a number of years ago and a few dings on the side panels from doors of other cars. They aren't obvious but can be readily observed in the right lighting. There is only one very small rust spot (pencil eraser sized) on the trunk. I live in the south and from what I can see rust is not a problem on the underbody. I have no issues with driving it or starting it. There is a small oil leak as indicated by the drip spots on my driveway but I almost never need to add oil (maybe a quart every couple of months). The AC works great. However, many small, non-driving related items in the car have not been fixed (it has deserved a more caring owner than me for sure). For instance, I slid off the road on a rainy day years ago and put a large indention in the lower part of the front plastic bumper. It didn't break but I can't figure out how to get the indention to pop out. The radio is stock but quit working a few years back. The dashboard has a small crack in it. The windshield has a large crack in it. The driver's side seat has worn through the fabric and beneath one of the seat supports has actually collapsed and needs some sort of weld job to fix. (Presently supported with a 2x4!) Also, the passenger side door won't lock (appears to be some sort of mechanical problem in the door itself.

If this is the wrong place to post this or is inappropriate for this forum I apologize again. If any further information would be helpful I'd be happy to provide it.

• Sponsors (?)

I'll move this over to the talk section with a polite reminder to our membership that if you wish to conduct business about this or any other thread that you do it through private message.

Thread moved to Fox Talk

@Hoplite
You should be able to find your answer in here.

A car is worth what someone will pay you for it, simply put. The market for cars also differs in different parts of the country, so what one would pay for it in say, Florida could be way different than the market in Indiana for example. I'd recommend looking at Craig's list in your area and get a feel for what similar cars are being advertised for. Coupes are usually pretty desirable even if they are 4 banger cars, so that will help you.. Posting some pictures will give folks a better idea of what you're working with.

Reactions: 1 users
Different areas bring different demand like mentioned before. In my opinion a Teal 93' notch in my area could fetch up to $2k with a clean title even with some dents and scratches. Most buyers wouldn't care how great the motor is because they're planning on swapping a V8 into it.

Good luck.

I'd venture to guess its a $500-1000 car. At this point your market is maybe as a HS first car for cheap, or a guy looking to v8 swap it.

How interested the latter is depends on how clean and straight the body is. The suspension and driveline would be gutted anyway.

Teal colored Mustangs are desirable though. Prob half the guys here would love a teal Fox mustang.

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Kinda what I was thinking Bill.

OP: Do you have any pics of said car? Detailed pics would go a long way to help me guess at what I would pay for it.

I'll just leave this here:

2025264_600.jpg

:drool:

Reactions: 1 user
Kinda what I was thinking Bill.

OP: Do you have any pics of said car? Detailed pics would go a long way to help me guess at what I would pay for it.

I'll just leave this here:

2025264_600.jpg

:drool:

BTW.. THAT is not teal, THAT is reef blue.

... and I'd pay 2k for that car aaaall day.

Last edited:
Yeah, but what would you pay for it, if it was only a 4-pot.

1993_00015_01.jpg

Go back and look at the picture Noobz posted. If that car was a 4 cyl roller with no possibility of recouping money from selling the engine as scrap I'd give 2k for it. That thing is straight as an arrow, and has beautiful paint. Argue all you want, that is hard to find nowadays. Good luck finding a car that clean anymore.

Go back and look at the picture Noobz posted. If that car was a 4 cyl roller with no possibility of recouping money from selling the engine as scrap I'd give 2k for it. That thing is straight as an arrow, and has beautiful paint. Argue all you want, that is hard to find nowadays. Good luck finding a car that clean anymore.

It wasn't an argument, it was a question. :confused:

I did see the picture...it was of a 5.0L car, not a 2.3L...and you said "... and I'd pay 2k for that car aaaall day." So, what I gather from the more recent statement above, is that you'd pay $2K for that car whether it was a V8, or not?

Fair enough, but the in the know comment was about reef blue, which is completely different.

You ever figure out those Canadian daytime running lights no one in the free world else cares enough about to offer a fix for? Maybe you should go check that out..:D

You're a tiny bit testy today, aren't you? Too much caffeine?

If that one that I posted above was a 4 banger in that condition.... I'd DD it all day, every day for $2k. Probably more. For someone looking for a clean V8 swap? Oh hell yeah. :nice: No stress cracks anywhere, perfectly straight A-pillars, hasn't even had a set of sub-frames put in yet.

Trashed inside and out... Much... MUCH less.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks Noobz347 for putting my post in the proper place. Everyone else, thank you very much for the great feedback. Very helpful. Here are pics as requested for a better idea of its condition. I focused on the problem areas. The color is definitely teal not reef blue. The spots on the hood are bird poop (!) from parking under a tree a few days ago that I haven't cleaned off yet.
IMG_2917.JPG
IMG_2918.JPG
IMG_2919.JPG
IMG_2920.JPG
IMG_2921.JPG
IMG_2922.JPG
IMG_2923.JPG

Thanks Noobz347 for putting my post in the proper place. Everyone else, thank you very much for the great feedback. Very helpful. Here are pics as requested for a better idea of its condition. I focused on the problem areas. The color is definitely teal not reef blue. The spots on the hood are bird poop (!) from parking under a tree a few days ago that I haven't cleaned off yet.
IMG_2917.JPG
IMG_2918.JPG
IMG_2919.JPG
IMG_2920.JPG
IMG_2921.JPG
IMG_2922.JPG
IMG_2923.JPG

That car is bright calypso green. Ask me how I know..

and I sold a hatchback (reef blue) with no motor or trans in similar shape two years ago for 1000 bucks.