Are 1.7 Roller Rockers Worth The Money With Stock Cam?

BKM48198

5 Year Member
Jun 7, 2008
Ypsilanti, Michigan
I have a 5.0 with a Mustang cam, GT40 heads, 70mm Mass air, 65mmTB& spacer, with BBK shorty headers. I have upgraded the stock valve springs with a set of TFS valve springs and am thinking about getting a set of 1.7 Roller Rockers, just not sure if they would be beneficial to my set-up or if I should just wait for better heads. It might be a while before I could get the heads, I plan on a higher stall convertor and built AOD first...........then maybe a different cam. Will I notice a difference with the roller rockers compared to the stock ones?

• Sponsors(?)

7991LXnSHO

Now I want a 10 year badge
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
With your mods, a bigger cam will make more power. The higher lift arms will act like a bigger cam with less installation hassle. So as long as piston to valve clearance is still OK, it is a good idea. The roller parts will reduce some friction and free up some power too.

95BlueStallion

Drop into my dm’s gurrrrrl
10 Year Member
Feb 22, 2007
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
www.goodreads.com
Now lets also keep in mind that 15-20 hp isnt all that noticeable on the seat of the pants dyno, and that $200+ could be put toward making your slush box more efficient so you actually feel the power you are making. A firmer shift, and less parasitic loss will make the car feel a lot more fun and utilize the power you have. If you have no plans for a manual trans swap, I would start there. Did it in my V8 ranger, and it felt like a different engine.

Reactions: 90lxwhite