Are cobra brakes a big upgrade from stock?

sandiegostang

May 19, 2011
Ok so this is probably a question that has been asked before so sorry if it seems repetative. The time has come to replace the warped rotors and glazed pads on my mustang GT and i have been considering getting the cobra brake kit. I am just curious if there is a noticable difference in braking performance over stock. Or would i be better off getting some good pads (hawk?) and ss lines? The car seems to stop pretty good now but i dont like how the brake pedal feels

• Sponsors (?)

I personally thought the difference was night and day. I needed to change the brakes on my 95, but I also wanted bigger brakes and ended up picking up some Cobra fronts. It has a nice firm pedal, which I like, but seems to stop much quicker than it ever had. Definitely a worthwhile investment, IMO.

Spend the money and get whatever design caliper you want, the Mach 1's have a satin black caliper, Bullitt's have a Red caliper with a running pony and Cobra's are either gloss red or black with the cobra logo on it.

Then spend some money and get MM's SS brake lines. They include both banjo bolts in their kit and bolt right up with no modifications (like J&M's or Russell's or Goodridge's).

Then look into Brakemotive on eBay. They have dirt cheap rotors. And they aren't cheap in quality. You have a choice of slotted, drilled and slotted, or just drilled. Slotted is the best for a DD too BTW, IMO.

Then spend some money on a quality street pad from EBC or Hawk. The HPS or Redstuff pads are really good. Hawk HP+'s are a great pad if you autocross or really drive your car hard. This is what I run. They dust quite a bit, but grab like crazy and make you stop on a dime..

Yes, it is a HUGE difference. I regularly drive my granddad's Mach 1, and it's crazy how much difference there is.

That isn't to say that they are going to stop any quicker than the stock brakes, as my stock 98 brakes will lock all 4 corners. The real difference is when you do a hard stop from a high speed, or race it on the track. They don't fade anywhere near as much as the GT brakes do.

BUT the difference in pedal feel and how the look behind the wheel are worth the money to me. I hope to do it later this year.

Night and day difference like some else had already said. Granted my GT brakes were worn, but after swapping on the Mach 1 calipers up front, Cobra setup in the rear, oem lines, Duralast Gold CMAX pads, oem rotors and new fluid. The car will launch you if your not wearing a seat belt I swear to god.

I love this setup.

this setup works too

100_0355Small.jpg

100_0359Small.jpg