Are Ford suspensions interchangeable? / I want to raise height . Explorer kit on Mustang ?

• Sponsors (?)

Regarding your interchange question. Try this. Go to car-part.com and look up the part in question. This will bring up a list of salvage yards in your area with the part in question. Look at the model and model year brought up by the search. This will give you an idea of what other model years could supply the part as well as what other "applications" could supply the part.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Regarding your interchange question. Try this. Go to car-part.com and look up the part in question. This will bring up a list of salvage yards in your area with the part in question. Look at the model and model year brought up by the search. This will give you an idea of what other model years could supply the part as well as what other "applications" could supply the part.

Good luck.

Hmmm.. o.k.
I just checked it out. 1995 year model.
I searched the Ford Explorer. That looks like it would give a nice lift to the Mustang for some offroad use. Will just need bigger wheels.

This is what you meant, right? I can fit the Explorer suspension on the 1995 mustang ? I wonder if the wheels are interchangeable as well.

The Explorer is a body on frame truck(Ranger is the base for it) while the mustang is a unibody car, I could be wrong but I don't see any interchangeability there( the suspensions are totally different).

Her is a picture of the 1995 to 2001 2WD left front suspension
xplodr1.JPG

There is always the "Good 'ol rEdNeCk way to do this...Remove the Explorer body, Strip the stuff off of the bottom of the Mustang and fasten it to the Explorer frame
97exuc1.jpg
Here is what replacement uppers look like. RH is the smaller one LH is the bigger one.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of how different. 1995 to 2001 2WD left front suspension

There is always the "Good 'ol rEdNeCk way to do this...Remove the Explorer body, Strip the stuff off of the bottom of the Mustang and fasten it to the Explorer frame
Wow, yes. Definitely different. THANKS FOR THE PICTURE. I am not ready and willing right now to do a body swap. Great idea though. Let me find a random winning lottery ticket tumbling in the breeze and i certainly will, hahahaha.

That is the best looking “I ‘m a Mustang II”
So what is your look goal or purpose of raising your newer Mustang? Are you going for a Gasser look, a Baja 500 vehicle, or a redneck 4x4?

That is the best looking “I ‘m a Mustang II”
So what is your look goal or purpose of raising your newer Mustang? Are you going for a Gasser look, a Baja 500 vehicle, or a redneck 4x4?
Thanks for this particular question. If i ever had to go over a 3" rock or curb I would like for it to not scrape the exhaust.
Although i still have to fab my turbos exhaust pipes .. .. lets wait until then. I dont want to lower my ride height eitiher way.

That you can do with taller springs (special order) and longer shocks out back. In the front, longer springs should do it. But coil overs with adjustable height might be a better way to go since they are struts.