Are gears worth it?

Green95

Oct 22, 2004
Idaho
The factory 3.08s in the rearend are okay for highway cruising, but I am told that gears are one of the best things you can buy for better performance. What is your take on it all. Also, would it be worth it to go from 3.08s to 3.55s. Or would 3.73s be better? Any input is greatly appreciated. Oh, it's a 5 spd, if that matters.

• Sponsors (?)

You will probably get more from reading the old threads about this BC I think many people get tired answering the same question over and over again. I am new too, so I don't mind. I just got 3.73's with an AODE (stock) and it is like driving a whole different car!

WHat are your mods? What is your LONG TERM plan for the car? If its going to have the power to trap 120mph speeds someday (ie 400+RWHP) then I wouldn't go higher than 3.73's MAX unless you plan to run a 28" tall tire or something. Also, I see your from Idaho and forgive my ignorance, but I believe that state is pretty much flat correct? If so, then maybe 3.73's would be a better choice for you even if you stay NA. I would NOT go 3.55's no matter what in a street car, its just not worth the money for the swap for such a small jump. Also, if you are looking to get everything out of the car at the drag strip you should select a gear ratio that, based on your projected and realistic trap speed, puts you just a few hundred RPM OVER your peak HP number when you cross through the traps. This enables you to make use of all of your available power in EVERY gear, not just 3 and a half.

I went with 3:55s (three years ago); limited for the reason of my plans for a power adder and 347. As I have yet to get either, I still have no grips. I really noticed the difference and am glad I went with them. I am not saying that I would have not gotten more from 3:73s, just that it really works with my combo.

Gears are Dependant Upon Engine, Drivetrain and Car

If you're running a stock GT with a 5-speed, don't touch them. It's geared perfectly to run through the traps in third. 1.34x3.08=4.12. A 3.55 or 3.73 will only slow you down if you can drive the car well. If you're modded, it depends on the mods. If you approach the car with a plan, and gear accordingly, your results will be as perfect as the original ride. If not, well, you'll be spinning through the traps at the wrong RPM to fully utilize the engine's power curve. As an example, a 5.0 Cobra has better heads and intake as well as different tuning and a slightly different cam, although it has more power, its power band is still perfect to push the car through in 3rd gear with 3.08s, thus, Ford left the "lower performance" gearset in there. However, throw a set of 1 5/8" shorty headers on it, put a better flowing exhaust such as a full MAC 2.5" (H-Pipe [with or without cats] and Catback), put an E-303 and you'll need a 4.38 gear set to run the quarter correctly, so the best way to make that combination work is the to either get the big gears or just put in a 3.27:1 gear set and run through in third: 1.34x3.27=4.38. The combination is so incredibly important.

hrspwrjunkie said:
If you're running a stock GT with a 5-speed, don't touch them. It's geared perfectly to run through the traps in third. 1.34x3.08=4.12. A 3.55 or 3.73 will only slow you down if you can drive the car well. If you're modded, it depends on the mods./
No that isn't right. You are looking at trapping in 3rd gear. You trap so high in third gear that you are in the end of the powerband and not making anymore power. You have to decide if you want to shift to the next gear and lose time shifting or just hit the top of third which by then is out of the powerband and you stop making power. I have seen this happen MANY times. When my first stang had stock gears it would trap at around 5600 in 3rd. There is no power left anymore when you are at that rpm on the stock heads/intake.

It's never been a concern with my runs. Shifting into fourth has lost me 3-tenths of a second. And I haven't needed any power at the end of the track because the engine quits making power right when I trap, making the gearing perfect running through at 5200 in third. Since I've outrun guys running slicks and gears on their GTs with out mods or traction tires, with my study of the shift points of the car, I think I've got a sound choice in gear shift points.

mackey said:
hrspwrjunkie said:
If you're running a stock GT with a 5-speed, don't touch them. It's geared perfectly to run through the traps in third. 1.34x3.08=4.12. A 3.55 or 3.73 will only slow you down if you can drive the car well. If you're modded, it depends on the mods./
No that isn't right. You are looking at trapping in 3rd gear. You trap so high in third gear that you are in the end of the powerband and not making anymore power. You have to decide if you want to shift to the next gear and lose time shifting or just hit the top of third which by then is out of the powerband and you stop making power. I have seen this happen MANY times. When my first stang had stock gears it would trap at around 5600 in 3rd. There is no power left anymore when you are at that rpm on the stock heads/intake.

Gears are so worth it, stock gearing just sucks even if you have 3.08's. My gears made a huge diffrence when I went from 2.73's to 3.55's. I had the gears put in after the blower so it even made the blower feel more worth it after that. As far as what gear to get thats up to you, your going to get alot of 3.73's and 4.10 responses. Frankly 3.55's are just right expecially if you go the power adder route in the future.

hrspwrjunkie said:
It's never been a concern with my runs. Shifting into fourth has lost me 3-tenths of a second. And I haven't needed any power at the end of the track because the engine quits making power right when I trap, making the gearing perfect running through at 5200 in third. Since I've outrun guys running slicks and gears on their GTs with out mods or traction tires, with my study of the shift points of the car, I think I've got a sound choice in gear shift points.

I think we are both getting confused. I know I am when I read your posts. If you were to shift into 4th with 3.73s you would be alot before the end of the 1/4 mile because of the fact the gears are shorter. You shouldn't shift into fourth if you are on stock gears unless you are making more power than 300hp. Of course if you shift into fourth with stock gears it is going to lose you power and time. But If you are losing .3 over a shift, you better learn to drive.

No, I'm not losing .3 over a shift, I'm losing .3 over the in ability of the engine to make up for the bog it gets shifting into fourth. The engine likes to sing to 5400, not sit down low in the RPM band. It seems to me that our stock 5.0s run very different.

mackey said:
I think we are both getting confused. I know I am when I read your posts. If you were to shift into 4th with 3.73s you would be alot before the end of the 1/4 mile because of the fact the gears are shorter. You shouldn't shift into fourth if you are on stock gears unless you are making more power than 300hp. Of course if you shift into fourth with stock gears it is going to lose you power and time. But If you are losing .3 over a shift, you better learn to drive.