are gt40 heads any good?

• Sponsors (?)

Nothing is wrong with them. they would make a good upgrade. 25-30 horse atleast. I got mine off ebay 3 days ago for 197.50. I havnt put them on yet but they are good heads. You may have header trouble if you still have the stock ones. 90 degree plug wires are needed with the P heads cause of there different plug location.

If you get those heads then you will need GT-40P specific headers. I would hang on to the money and buy a better version of the GT-40. The you have a choice of a wide variety of aftermarket headers when you are ready for them, plus the other GT-40's will make a little more power.

JaysGreenLX said:
If you get those heads then you will need GT-40P specific headers. I would hang on to the money and buy a better version of the GT-40. The you have a choice of a wide variety of aftermarket headers when you are ready for them, plus the other GT-40's will make a little more power.

This is a big misconception... The problem isn't the header its the spark plug angle and people have problems with the boots getting burnt up. If you get a set of 90 degree boots it doesn't matter you can work around it with any header, unless there equal length, thats a different story considering you can easily burn up regular boot plugs wires w/ any head using equal length headers...

only problem with both of those auctions, is they don't have any pictures of the P specific markings. You can't visually tell they are GT-40 heads. They may just be E7's once you get them, unless they send you more pics of the markings on them.

You can get a set of brand new GT-40P heads for under $500, so a pair of used ones stock should go for $200 or less. I have heard stories of$250 - 300 with the intake for pulling off a wrecked Explorer

Not to butt in on the thread, but are you guys saying that you don't necessarily need different headers to run the explorer heads? I currently have BBK longtubes and would like to keep them. The reason I ask is that I have the opportunity to buy some explorer heads that are freshly rebuilt and have $600 worth of porting and come with the explorer lower intake for $400-$500. Also, does a stock 5.0 HO upper manifold bolt to the gt40 lower? Thanks.

As far as the BBK headers go, you'd have to talk to someone who's run them, but the stock 5.0 HO manifold will NOT work with the Explorer lower. The Explorer runners are staggered, while the stock HO runners are inline. You could however pick up an Explorer, Cobra, or GT-40 upper, to fit.

Most longtubes don't have problems with burning up boots, I'm not to sure though, but either way I'm certain if you burn up your regular boots, 90 degree boots will probably solve the problem. Any header that will fit e7's will fit the gt-40p's but are you not gonna burn up spark plug wires is the question.

Be sure to check out Mouse's page:
http://www.cmc.net/~xero/Mousesporting.html
There's a TON of good info there on both the GT40's and GT40P heads, plus porting E7's. He's got a link to Sean Meldrum's GT40P page (MotorCityMustang on Corral) which has moved to the "articles" section on Stangnet.com. Also check the "project cars" section. His '84 GT was the test mule for the GT40P article mentioned.

Here's a thread that I was following over on Corral about GT40's vs. GT40P's, experience with different headers, 1/4 mile times (check the sigs, too), etc. :
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=159577

That should keep ya busy for a while! :nice: