Are Hawk brake pads really that much better?

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
I have all the parts for the CObra 13" front kit and rear 11.65" kit.

I was just going to run the pads for the front that came in the kit (Motorcraft i assume) and new parts store pads which i already have in the rear.

I found out Pep Boys sells the Hawk HPS pads.

WOuld it be really that much of a difference to run the Hawks? It would add about another $175ish to the total so would it be a huge SOTP feel or not really much of a big deal??? :shrug:

What about just front only?

• Sponsors (?)

In short, the Hawk HPS feel better on initial bite, and Maximimum stopping power, but the Motorcrafts feel more progressive and have better pedal feedback and less dust. Easier as a DD pad. Also the Motorcrafts will have a much longer life. I ran through 2 sets of Performance pads in 30,000 miles, Motorcrafts last me 60,000+ miles. The Downside is Motorcraft pads are almost twice the cost as Hawk HPS

Well, if you already had the motorcraft pads, would you run them on a strictly street DD?

Honestly i don't know what pads the calipers have. I haven't gotten them yet. It's a kit i got from buyfordracing.com so i assume they would be Ford pads on the calipers.

I got the Bullitt caliper set from buyfordracing.com and have used them (with the pads that came with them) thru some pretty not-so-nice conditions and also as a DD. Dusting is so-so but I can't complain at all about their performance either on the track (twisties when they get REALLY hot) or on the street. Since they came with the calipers I figured I'd give 'em a shot and haven't regretted it one bit...

Mustang5L5 said:
I was just going to run the pads for the front that came in the kit (Motorcraft i assume) and new parts store pads which i already have in the rear... It would add about another $175ish to the total...

imho, you should probably save your money and go with what you already have, at least for now. You can always change them later. I wish I knew what is a good upgrade pad for a DD street car that does not dust more than stock.

Good luck with your decision. :nice:

Yes, hawk pads do make a noticeable difference! I have them on my camaro with brembo rotors and they made a HUGE difference over stock. Dust is a little worse than stock, and im not sure about how long they last, I only put about 4-5 thousand miles a year on it, but ive been very impressed with hawk. I would say run the pads that came with the kit for a while if money is a concern, then buy hawk when they need replaced.

Motorcraft pads are very good, and that is why there isn't much of a difference between stock Motorcraft pads and Hawk on Mustangs. As for the Camaro, the stock pads probably aren't as good as motorcraft, so the contrast between stock GM pads and Hawk pads are quite drastic.

Do you see what I'm getting at here?

Matt

uhh im pretty sure fading had more to do with brake lines and brake fluid heating up and warping the rubber tubes... hence why its advised to get SS lines as well...

Leave the pads that came with the kit in. theyre excellent!

exindust said:
uhh im pretty sure fading had more to do with brake lines and brake fluid heating up and warping the rubber tubes... hence why its advised to get SS lines as well...

Leave the pads that came with the kit in. theyre excellent!

You are correct on one thing, brake fluid can lead to fading. Braking is mostly all about heat transfer, if you have big enough rotors to dissapate the heat genereated then you will never boil your fluid ... now you can get a very high quality fluid like castrol SRF that has a super high boiling point...that will prevent brake fade a bunch, but it wont cure an undersized braking system. Brake lines have very very little to do with fading, and more with pedal pressure being consistent as the fluid is being heated up. Gets rid of the "mushy" feeling in the pedal travel. Pads have a great deal of influence on brake fade especially since all pads are designed to work within a certain heat range. You get the pads out of their heat range, you better believe they'll fade quickly. Opposite for race pads in a sense that until they reach their ideal operating range, have fun stopping.

What most of the road racing guys say is that when you are starting out, use fresh good fluid (like ATE blue) and a good set of performance pads to start out, that will eliminate most fade seen by novices...and then when you are racing a bunch and really need to get an advantage you start upsizing everything ... bigger wheels for bigger tires which can hold bigger rotors and calipers which means bigger pads, etc etc etc...

01BlkGT said:
Brake lines have very very little to do with fading, and more with pedal pressure being consistent as the fluid is being heated up. Gets rid of the "mushy" feeling in the pedal travel.

To elaborate, the stock rubber hoses are just that...rubber. The harder you push on the pedal, the more fluid pressure you're putting thru them, causing them to flex (almost like a balloon, just not as dramatically). What the S/S lines do contain them so that they can't flex, sending the fluid pressure straight thru to the calipers/pads and giving you a firmer pedal. Look at it as a garden hose...if it's wide open there isn't as much force coming out, but if you restrict the flow to a smaller opening you get more pressure.

As far as brake fade, there are 2 main culpurates...overheated pads and moisture in the fluid. As the pads heat up they produce gases which get trapped between them and the rotor, causing the actual braking material to more-or-less hydroplane across the rotor. The moisture has to do with your boiling point. Brake fluid absorbs water by nature, which is why you must routinely flush your fluid. When you have too much moisture and you do severe braking you fluid in the calipers will begin to boil and turn into a gas which is compressible. Now, instead of your fluid pressing the piston against the pads onto the rotor the gas is compressing, absorbing the fluid pressure and causing brake fade.

Sorry...didn't mean to make it so long.......

I just put Hawk pads in, and my car stops a lot faster. My motorcraft pads left brake dust all over my rims, and it seems the Hawk pads do the same. But hell, they are brake pads, and all of them are going to leave SOME dust. I would go with the Hawks....