Are heads from 96 explorer GT40 heads??

bdazzstang

Feb 28, 2003
Orlando, FL
My wife has a 96 explorer that were getting rid of. I want to know if the heads are better than the ones on my 5.0. The heads are stock on my car and hers. Just wondering if its worth the work, and whether they are GT40 heads.

• Sponsors (?)

Look at the front of the head casting, where the accessories bolt on. If they are GT-40's they'll have 3 or 4 ridges near the bottom center pointing up towards the rockers.

I think those are the GT-40 P heads. Which you have to use the special headers for. Look in the recent MM&FF magazine for performance info. Look for the monthes of Sept - Nov monthes for the article on a wide variety of different heads including the Explorer heads. They are better than stock but not much. Great for a budget upgrade.

96 and part way through 97 they were GT40's (just like the Cobra heads); then they switched to the P's with external egr. If you don't mind the work, I believe I'd swap those puppies out. I doubt the new/next owner would notice any difference at all, but you'll notice a difference on your car - especially if you clean up the intake and exhaust to let the heads do what they can do. You might consider swapping the intakes as well. That intake is an improvement over the stocker too. And the face plates will swap, so no-one will know the difference.

Don't know the production numbers, but it was a fairly common option from 96 until they switched to the 4.6L in 2001 I believe. A lot of 4 wheel drive Explorers had them (Don't think you could get the V-8 in rear wheel drive), look for small V8 emblem on the front fender I believe. They are basically a Cobra motor with a SUV cam in 96/97 (Explorer intake is a variation of the GT40 lower with different cast upper) and GT40 heads. In 98 they switched to the GT40P heads. Common parts mules or swap candidates for Mustangs with tired engines.

Yeah you could get the v8 in two wheel drive. Thats what my wifes is. But thanks for the input everyone, i am def. going to go through with the swaps. Gt40 heads and intake for nothing but some elbow grease........ cheapest horsepower i can think of.

can also upgrade the valve size 2..........with some bowl blending after installing larger valves and gskt. matching can be just as good flowing as the x series head or better depending on amount of time spent porting..........ive reworked a few sets and was pleased with the outcome! big diff!

I've heard, but have not confirmed, that Mercury Mountaineers had a V8 as the standard and only available engine, instead of the Explorer with a 4.0L V6 as standard engine and V8 as optional engine (depending on model of course).

matm347 said:
Look at the front of the head casting, where the accessories bolt on. If they are GT-40's they'll have 3 or 4 ridges near the bottom center pointing up towards the rockers.

96- 97 1/2 Explorers - GT40
3 ridges on the ends of the GT40s with "GT" in casted at both ends of the heads near the spark plugs.

97 1/2 - 2000? Explorers - GT40P
4 ridges on the ends of the GT40Ps with "GTP" in casted at both ends of the heads near the spark plugs (I believe).

As stated above there will be a Gt stamped on the front of the heads.

Swap out the Heads and intake for sure.

And you can also take the 65mm throttle body, but it will take some work to make it work and not sure about how to get the stang one back on.