Are more expensive wheels worth the money?

60sIron

Aug 14, 2010
I'm shopping for an extra set of wheels for snow tires. These will probably be on the car from December - March.

The car is a 2011 5.0L manual trans with 18 x 8 wheels and tires. I was thinking of getting wheels exactly the same size to mount my snow tires and keep them in the garage and change them every winter.

I've noticed that some wheels are $170 each and some are $800 each. What is the major difference?

• Sponsors (?)

The difference is in cheaper vs more expensive wheels is weight and shape. The reason you pay more is for lighter material wheel and yet still strong, also more expensive rims are machined better, the wheel itself is rounder as is the bore for the hub. That's why factory wheels are insanely expensive they are light, strong and perfectly round.

The difference in the price of many wheels depends on where they are produced and how they are marketed. Wheels made overseas may be a lot less than wheels made domestically.

If you want the least expensive 18" wheels for your alternate set, Ford Racing Parts and Accessories at great prices has sets of the 18x8.5 bullitt style wheels for $379 a set of 4 with free shipping.

Don't forget to allow for new TPMS too when you figure your costs.

Thanks for the link. It looks very interesting. Since these rims are for snow tires, I'm not too concerned about weight, but roundness is definitely important.

Which brands have the better quality machining?

When it comes to wheels you get what you pay for. Ford OEM and Ford Racing are more expensive as the others have stated because they are engineered to high standards. Roundness, crash tested, weight, and you can get replacements. Some aftermarket companies make wheels for a year and then discontinue the model. Pretty expensive to replace 4 wheels when 1 is damaged in a T/C.

Thanks for the link. It looks very interesting. Since these rims are for snow tires, I'm not too concerned about weight, but roundness is definitely important.

Which brands have the better quality machining?

I've bought lots of wheels over the years, all different brands from the repro chinese made wheels to some lots more expensive ones, never had a problem with any of them.

I haven't seen any wheels less expensive than those OEM Ford wheels that buyfordracing.com has, would seem to be the perfect set of wheels for your snow tires.