Are shorties a stock replacement?

• Sponsors (?)

I recall seeing numbers and the stock fox headers were good till around 280 HP. I use that as a crude indication - though they look like crap, they dont hinder things right off the bat.

Good luck.

EDIT: I thought this was a 94-95 question. Edited appropriately.

i'm asking because i have a chance to get a set cheap and would like to know if i should really even bother, exhaust wise i just have stock headers and h pipe off a 93 gt and flows and thought i could toss the headers on and get it to sound a little meaner

Dont touch the factory headers till you get 260+HP. And leave the mid pipe on till you get new heads or work done to you stock E-7's! I took my h pipe off for an off rd h pipe.BIG TIME low end torque loss. I put the stock h back on. Same thing with the headers, I put FMS unequal shorties on and noticed a low end torque loss.. ( i kept those on though :D ) After I had some Thumper heads put on I put a catted x on. So the factory H and headers work "BEST" for performance till you get over 260HP. Just my 2 cents

They're a little pricier, but I put FRPP unequal shorties on my 89 along w/ a BBK catted h-pipe and Flows. Sounded very nice. I liked the FRPP's because they had a thick one-piece flange. So, if I needed to take them off I wouldn't have the fitment issues from warping. I don't remember how BBK's are (single flange or individual flanges), but I remember searching when I bought my FRPP's and saw a lot of people complaining about headers w/ individual flanges at the manifold warping. Thus, if you ever take them off you may have a hard time getting them back on.

FWIW, I have no personal experience w/ BBK headers, but my h-pipe from them was a nice piece w/ quality material.

ok, because i have a chance to to trade my stockers for the bbk shorties, you think i should pass till i get other stuff done, but in the tech list for things to get done and when it says, sub frames, gears and exhaust, but if it's gonna make me lose the low end , but to be honest i just wanna make it sound better, tring to sell it, want a classic or maybe a efi fox

Any header with individual flanges will heat warp...so buying them used you have to know there's a chance of them not fitting right....but then again, you have that same chance when you buy them new yourself and then use them for a while and have to take them off...they may not want to go back on.

My car is completely stock, and I was just about to buy a Mac O/R H pipe but if it is going to make me lose power then i don't want to put it on. I want the sound of a loud car though and I figured taking the cats off was the easiest way to do it, cheaper than a cat-back too. But taking into account the info said in this thread, buying an O/R H as my first mod to the car would be a bad decision, correct?

Thanks!

billison said:
can anyone tell me why i'm NOT getting my post emails, i have to check it for post, it sucks

Go to:

User CP
->Edit options

Then select the notification setting you desire.

billison said:
ok, because i have a chance to to trade my stockers for the bbk shorties, you think i should pass till i get other stuff done, but in the tech list for things to get done and when it says, sub frames, gears and exhaust, but if it's gonna make me lose the low end , but to be honest i just wanna make it sound better, tring to sell it, want a classic or maybe a efi fox

How soon do you want to sell it? ASAP? In a year or two? If you are going to sell it very soon, I say it's 50/50 if I would do it. It's not difficult to get headers on, but some parts of it can be tedious and frustrating (especially if the flanges are warped). If you're going to run an ad as soon as you put these on, it seem like a lot of trouble to me. I don't know that you'll really notice a great difference in the sound.

As far as gears and SFC's, I don't know if that's in your plan, or if you are just mentioning it. If you're selling the car soon, you're not going to get your money back out of those things unless you get them free or dirt cheap as well. Especially if you pay for labor as well. You'd be surprised how many people are looking for a STOCK Fox Mustang.

my car is a 85 cfi, cfi is crap, so i put a intake and carb on,and i'm still going to get some things finished on the car, but realized a few months ago that when all is done and finished it's till not going to be what i want, i love the car and i wish i would have realized that when i started, but nothing i can do about that, so i'm going to spend the winter getting everything cleaned up and getting everything running good so i can sell it, cuz if i sell it now i'd get 10 bucks cuz i'm in the middle of everything, so i'm gonna finish what i can and then sell it, anyway i thought a good set of headers would help the sound and help the sell