Are shorty headers worth anything?

keepsbreakin

Dec 4, 2003
I was considering some shorty headers for my '03 GT. Is it even worth anything to get shorties? Long tubes are out for a few reasons. The heads have to be rebuilt (labor cost for removal is $$$$), so I figured I'd throw a set of headers on. Or should I just leave the manifolds?

• Sponsors (?)

The JBAs are worth at most 9 rwhp. I've seen a couple dynos that back that up. I'm happy with mine. :nice: BBK apparently will have some equal length shorties out soon, and they're cheaper than JBAs. The FRPPs are only good for a couple rwhp.

Most people are going to come in here and tell you that shorties aren't worth it and to go with long tubes. Good luck with the rebuild. Like micool said, I would definately do it while the heads are off of the car.

I see BBK already has the equal-length shorty out...what is better, the un-equal length or equal length? I figure the equal length would be, but I am not an exhaust guy.. I am more of an electrical system type.

Well, I've got FRPP Shorties on mine, and I like em. They give a good exhaust tone, allow much more air than the stock manifold (just look at em and compare).

I really don't why ppl. are SOOO against shorties, they aren't quite worth the gains of LT's, but they get the job done, and save a lil $$$.

-Will

Shorty heads are worthless NA, no noticeable gains on the dyno or at the track. Save your money if you are NA, bc they will not do anything for you. I have dynoed, and track tested them on my ported headswap car with aggresive cams, and gained nodda. If the heads are off, add LT's. However, 4v cars respond pretty well to shorties, but not 2v's NA.

TARZAN said:
Well, I've got FRPP Shorties on mine, and I like em. They give a good exhaust tone, allow much more air than the stock manifold (just look at em and compare).

I really don't why ppl. are SOOO against shorties, they aren't quite worth the gains of LT's, but they get the job done, and save a lil $$$.

-Will

got any dynoes to back that up, or track times?

Shorties are good for a couple of reasons. They are a "tad" easier to install than long tubes are and they have been shown to work better than "some" LTs with a supercharger. Of course that is relevant to the rest of the exhaust as well. LTs are a pain to put on but I like mine a lot. I can see going either way but if your in there you have to do one or the other. Please don't put stock back on!

Bo

There was a article in Hot Rod Magazine were they tested a Bullit Stang with JBA Headers and the increase was around 9rwhp across the board. They also said their was a diffinate hp increase with the SOTP testing.

If I remember correctly, JBA invented the "shorty" header.

I use JBA shorties on my cobra. When I had my tick repaired they had the engine out so I figured it was a good time(free labor).

Hp increase is minimal BUT for me it was worth every penny for the decrease in underhood temp!

mity2 said:
can someone give me a part number for BBK eq shorties???
i'm looking at BBK site, and can't find it

I think brother's performance, summit, and jegs all list the new BBK shorties. Someone posted the other day that they are not in yet though, and won't be till' sometime in January. Maybe do a search if you want the exact date, or call summit. Hope that helps.

i know for the fact LT would give me more RWHP/TQ gain, but I have to keepmy stock H with 4 cats, becouse when I move to Ohio in near fewture, County i'm moving in to, hase both visual, and sniffer while idle test.....