are stronger mounting brackets for rear coil over kits necessary?

bleeatch

May 8, 2003
phoenix
I bought my rear coil over kit used and did not get any upgraded mounting brackets for the axle tubes. Maximum motorsports mentions on their site that they include one with their rear c/o kit, and to buy another if you're not running a panhard bar. How necessary are they? Are the stock ones really that weak? They seem strong.

These are what Im referring too:
MMSM-2.jpg

From MM's site:
If you do not have our Panhard Bar on your solid axle equipped Mustang, you will need to buy this extra lower shock mount when converting to coil-over suspension. The panhard bar mount has a sturdy mount for attaching the lower shock, but without this, the stock lower shock mount is not strong enough to support the weight of the car. One is included in each of our rear coil-over kits, but this second one may be required if you don't yet have our panhard bar.

• Sponsors (?)

Ford engineers designed those brackets to support the shock and the loads the shock endures, not the whole unsprung weight of the rear half of the car.
I also have mine off and they do appear to be .120" plate and maybe strong enough to hold the weight of your unsprung rear... but at the minor cost of MMs brackets, why take the chance?
You might consider using a true 1/2" correct grip length bolts also. Just ask MM, see what they say.

i think it has to do with the way they are mounted to the axle, if i remember when i put mine on there is only one bolt and a bent in tab holding it to the axle, i would imagine 1 turn too hard or a little jump would bend that thing, and that certainly wouldnt be good