Are the tapered inserts in the Mast. Cyl ports replaceable?

66coupe351

Founding Member
Aug 24, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
Doing a lot of work of my '66 coupe brakes, and apparently screwed up my brand new dual-bowl MC. When I got everything back together the rear port leaked. Took the lines off and removed the MC, and the rear tapered insert - the brass looking piece that the flare in the brake line mates up to - has a small scratch/ridge in it now.

I'm making some of my own brake lines and apparently either made a bad flare and/or tightened the brake line down too hard.

Is that insert replaceable or do I need a whole new MC? If it is replaceable how to remove it and where to buy the replacement piece?

• Sponsors (?)

I think its a whole mastercylinder thing. Most places like discount auto/autozone etc give lifetime warrenties and they are only like $20 (its been a few years since I bought one so this may be off a few dollars)

I've never heard of anyone buying just the brass seat.

It is possible to remove it by threading a screw down through the middle of it. That is OK if it is for the disc brake side. If it is for a drum brake, there is a residual valve located underneath (looks like an umbrella) and it will get destroyed too.

The residual valve (umbrella) used (still maybe) to be part of a master cylinder rebuild kit. You would just remove the seat, replace the valve, and reinstall the seat.