chicks make me feel inadequate
Founding Member
Jul 30, 2002
South Texas
so there i was ready to upgrade my stock suspension, i had it all planned out:

H&R sport springs
Bilsteins all around
MM CC plates

around $900 from stangsuspension.com. go with the best right?

i figure if i go with the best and most expensive i could have it all, firm yet smooth ride and good cornering, then i started reading.
i almost bought some 'o3 cobra bilstein shocks/struts for $175, not bad. i know the struts will work fine but i want to know if i can use the IRS rear shocks on my GT so i use the search function :)eek: ). no useable info on this but i found out some info on the bilsteins. turns out they're kinda rough for a everyday car from the threads i read, Illumina's might be a better choice

so here's the thing:

i DO NOT autocross
i DO NOT road race
i DO NOT want to outcorner a porsche
i DO NOT want to find the cheapest dampers out there
i DO NOT care if they have a lifetime warranty
i RARELY hit the 1/4

i DO drive the car everyday and i am willing to spend the cash if i can lower my car 1.5 inches and keep at least SOME of the comfort

so here's the question(s), should i get the Illumina's? does anyone have the D-specs? should i buy fox body 1" shorter non-adjustable OEM style?

are Bilsteins really that rough? are all aftermarket dampers pretty much the same?:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

STRAIGHT from Maximum motorsports:

"There should not be a big debate over which year dampers to use. 1994+ rear shocks are recommended in all 1979-2004 (solid axle) Mustangs because they offer a reduction of excessive droop travel and a slight increase in bump travel, they are also stronger. 1994+ shocks can be used in FOX Mustangs but FOX shocks cannot be used in 1994+ Mustangs. People use the FOX struts in 1994+ Mustangs because they are shorter and provide an increase in bump travel on lowered Mustangs. However, if you will be using caster camber plates there is no reason to use the shorter struts because the caster camber plate can raise the strut shaft up higher, closer to the hood, to accomplish the exact same goal. Mustang owners who install the shorter struts along with caster camber plates often reduce available droop travel to the point where the front tires will start to lift off the ground when traversing a steep driveway because there is not enough droop travel."

My suspension is hard as all hell. I don't drag/road race/street race/auto cross at all but I'll tell you what, I like to drive my car hard when the road is open. I'm sure that the Bilsient struts are not going to make your ride all that uncomfortable. If I can live with my car being as harsh as it is, I'm sure you will be fine with those springs/struts.

STRAIGHT from Maximum motorsports:

"There should not be a big debate over which year dampers to use. 1994+ rear shocks are recommended in all 1979-2004 (solid axle) Mustangs because they offer a reduction of excessive droop travel and a slight increase in bump travel, they are also stronger. 1994+ shocks can be used in FOX Mustangs but FOX shocks cannot be used in 1994+ Mustangs. People use the FOX struts in 1994+ Mustangs because they are shorter and provide an increase in bump travel on lowered Mustangs. However, if you will be using caster camber plates there is no reason to use the shorter struts because the caster camber plate can raise the strut shaft up higher, closer to the hood, to accomplish the exact same goal. Mustang owners who install the shorter struts along with caster camber plates often reduce available droop travel to the point where the front tires will start to lift off the ground when traversing a steep driveway because there is not enough droop travel."

Whats really funny is that a few years ago MM were selling (and recommending) shock/strut packages with FOX fronts if you were lowered. They've changed their tune!:shrug: :)

I have fox fronts because my front is well lowered. No side effects. KYX AGX are AWESOME too, and the rears are easier to adjust than the Toks. I'm very glad I got adjustables. Whatever you buy, I personally recommend adjustable shocks so you can dial in the desired ride quality or the best balance for the car.
I altered my shock settings slowly after months of driving. I recently softened the rears one click because it felt like they were a tiny bit too stiff when accelerating around corners on less-than-perfect roads. I've got them just right for my taste right now - its awesome.

I have the Tokico D-specs and absolutely love them. I take them to the 1/4 and play around with all sorts of settings then set them where I want them for the street. They are fantastic. You can put them anywhere you want them. My wife likes less of a harsh ride so I loosen them up for her when she wants to take the car out.

The Tokico Illumina shocks and struts just mite be your
best bet to go with.Everyone I knew that had them were
happy with them and didn't have any problems with them.
I had the Bilstein shocks and struts and sometimes they
were noisy on rough roads or going over potholes/speedbumps etc.On flat
or smooth roads my car would ride like it was driving on glass.
If you are just looking for good replacements that will not
cost you a arm and leg and will perform great I would go with
the Tockico's instead.

I have the Tokico D-specs and absolutely love them. I take them to the 1/4 and play around with all sorts of settings then set them where I want them for the street. They are fantastic. You can put them anywhere you want them. My wife likes less of a harsh ride so I loosen them up for her when she wants to take the car out.

is there a huge difference between stock and the softest setting?

is there a huge difference between stock and the softest setting?

Sorry, missed this thread for a while. There is a huge difference between the stiffest and softest settings. The softest makes the car "float" over bumps. On the stiffest setting it feels like you are driving a lumber wagon. You can play with everything in betweeen to suit your driving style.

The Bilstein Cobra struts are stiffer than the aftermarket GT Bilstein struts. The Cobra Bilstein shocks will not fit the GT. I have Bilsteins and H&R SS springs. The ride is firm but not very harsh except on real s**** roads due to my 18's. With the 17's they were great. The Illuminas are good stuff as well. IF you have 18's evrything will ride a little rough.

The Bilstein Cobra struts are stiffer than the aftermarket GT Bilstein struts. The Cobra Bilstein shocks will not fit the GT. I have Bilsteins and H&R SS springs. The ride is firm but not very harsh except on real s**** roads due to my 18's. With the 17's they were great. The Illuminas are good stuff as well. IF you have 18's evrything will ride a little rough.

Why wont they fit(cobra struts on a gt)?

I had them on my 99 gt.Pulled them straight off my buddies 04 cobra and bolted them straight on..The REARS wont fit because the cobra has a IRS but the fronts fit perfect.But the rears fit mine because i also had a cobra IRS.