Are Walbro pumps reliable?

Zero Signal

Feb 24, 2003
Tucson, AZ
So I changed my fuel pump for the second time yesterday. This time it actually crapped out totally just as I was about to back the car onto the ramps! Talk about a stroke of luck. It could have happened in the middle of rush hour traffic. It just so happens that I could get the siphon hose into the tank to empty it so I ened up dropping it with 7/8's of a tank full!

Anyways. . .I'm going to change it with a Walbro, but I'm not sure what size to get and want to keep it under $100. Isn't the stock one something like 88 lph? If so, I know I could get a slightly larger one for about $10 more than this crappy replacement was. I figure I might as well upgrade to something with some more flow and reliability.

- Are they pretty reliable, I notice alot of you guys use them.
- Where is a decent place to buy them?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

your car looks sweet!!!

I got the Walboro 255 pump. If you plan on doing mods to your car I would get this one.

Otherwise if you are staying mostly stock, you can get the 190 pump. I would also get a fuel pressure regulator to get the best pressure.

The walbro pumps are very reliable, its the only one I'd put in my car. I run a 190LPH walbro which would be my choice unless you are going to some sort of forced induction. There are two different 255lph pumps, a high volume and a regular one. The 255lph high volume, which is part number GS340 if memory serves me right, if the choice in a forced induction car.

It's all good, thanks for the input. How about where to buy, who knows of a decent place to pick one up that isn't ebay? I thought summit had them, but I couldn't find them on the website.

Also, is it just a direct swap, no messing with the electrical or computer stuff to get it to work properly of the bat?

Zero Signal said:
It's all good, thanks for the input. How about where to buy, who knows of a decent place to pick one up that isn't ebay? I thought summit had them, but I couldn't find them on the website.

Also, is it just a direct swap, no messing with the electrical or computer stuff to get it to work properly of the bat?

I forgot to say that that some of the guys on the power adder forums said that they had probs with getting the pressure down to acceptable levels while just cruising with the high pressure 255 unit.

I knew I was going to use stock fuel pressure with a Tweecer and that is why I chose the high volume over the high pressure unit.

I don't remember having to do any mods or going to any extra trouble to change stocker for the Walbro.

Later
Grady

So would an AFPR be able to lower the pressure of the high pressure pump to acceptable levels. If so, I like that idea, it would give me plenty of headroom for future mods.

I plan on a blower within the next couple of years, so I may opt for that 255 high pressure pump if I could get the pressure down with an AFPR.

Have you guys had any problems with that on your 255's?

Zero Signal said:

The BBK fuel pumps are Walbro, as well as the holley ones. I got my BBK (walbro) pump from summit.