Build Thread As Requested: Project Horse Manure

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah. It didn't do the trick. And I know it's good, I pulled it out of my car. The only thing I haven't tried yet, I think, is the stator in the distributor. It's either that, or a broken wire in the harness, or a bad connection somewhere.
The last vehicle I had kick my butt so bad was an 86 ranger. I traded that sucker in on a silverado.

Edit: i found an old thread last night where people who had symptoms I'm having had a bad stator in their distributor.. So, that's next.
Didn't you just put a parts store dist in it ?

I have a good TFI module too if you wanna try that

Thanks man, I put a new one in already, I would hope it's not bad.. At this point though..

I've got a feeling the ignition stator is going to do it, but I've had that feeling half a dozen times so far, lol.

Reactions: 2 users
Well, I don't want to speak too soon, but the car is running. I rebuilt the distributor today, checked tdc, checked timing again, and nothing. That rotten so and so would not start. I did piddle with the timing more, and found something very interesting. When revving the engine, instead of timing advance, it was actually retarding. It took me a few minutes to recognize what was happening, and I thought, what the??!! That mark is going the wrong way!!!!

So.. Off to the google machine where i found this:

http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0...g.html#/forumsite/20549/topics/1073990?page=1

There was a wire going into the tfi for whatever reason, was energized when it wasn't supposed to be. How this happened out of the blue, i have no clue. I pulled the pin out and taped it up, fired up and ran like a spotted ape.
image.jpeg

Stupid car. Lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, I don't want to speak too soon, but the car is running. I rebuilt the distributor today, checked tdc, checked timing again, and nothing. That rotten so and so would not start. I did piddle with the timing more, and found something very interesting. When revving the engine, instead of timing advance, it was actually retarding. It took me a few minutes to recognize what was happening, and I thought, what the??!! That mark is going the wrong way!!!!

So.. Off to the google machine where i found this:

http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0...g.html#/forumsite/20549/topics/1073990?page=1

There was a wire going into the tfi for whatever reason, was energized when it wasn't supposed to be. How this happened out of the blue, i have no clue. I pulled the pin out and taped it up, fired up and ran like a spotted ape.
image.jpeg

Stupid car. Lol.
How is it that you know how fast a spotted ape runs?

I've never even seen a spotted ape.

I think it's supposed to be a raped ape? A striped assed ape?

How is it that you know how fast a spotted ape runs?

I've never even seen a spotted ape.

I think it's supposed to be a raped ape? A striped assed ape?

The proverbial spotted ape, or spotted assed ape, is supposedly an ape that is running away as it has been peppered in the ass with a shotgun. Hence the name, spotted ape.

image.jpeg
Did you ever find a remedy to the problem? I've just read this whole thread, and wanted to say nice job, and a sincere thanks for sharing yours and your sons journey. Really enjoyed the paint parts, looks fantastic. I'm on the fence now with whether I should try to paint my son's 92 SSP or have a real painter do it.

Reactions: 2 users
image.jpeg
Did you ever find a remedy to the problem? I've just read this whole thread, and wanted to say nice job, and a sincere thanks for sharing yours and your sons journey. Really enjoyed the paint parts, looks fantastic. I'm on the fence now with whether I should try to paint my son's 92 SSP or have a real painter do it.

Thanks man, I appreciate that! I'm glad people enjoyed it, and hope someone gets to take something away from it that can help them out.

As for the fixing the problem, I found out the wire i pulled from the distributor retards the timing when the start switch is turned to alliw for easier starting. The ignition switch had gone bad and was energizing that wire full time, making it run like doo doo. She's all fixed, back on the road and daily driven by my son. We worked bugs out of it fir a month or two, but it turned out to be a fairly reliable car believe it or not.

We have a member here that is our resident paint guru: @Davedacarpainter ...He gave me plenty pointers that helped me a lot. Great guy, and always willing to help. He has a thread around here somewhere on painting, hopefully he'll chime in to answer any questions you might have.

Reactions: 1 users
image.jpeg
Nice car. Yours and Allans (boosted92lx) cars look great with those wheels!

image.jpeg

very nice... what rims are those?