ASP Pulley On A 3G Alternator?

This is really making me mad. I've tried several times to put an ASP overdrive pulley on my 3G to help charging at idle. I've done this with a few different pulley combinations and I have the same problem everytime. I have a a loud, high pitched sound whenever I first start the car up and that's the only time I hear it. I figure it has to do with the alternator pulley somehow because that's the only time it makes the sound. I've tried two different belts and still have the sound. I would really like to know what causes this because it's starting to be annoying.

• Sponsors (?)

I run one on my car and several freinds cars as well and have no problems. :shrug:

I would check the clearence between the pulley and alternator housing to see if it is touching. It is a very close fit.

I installed the overdrive pulley and I have the EXACT same problem... a very high pitch squeek when I start the car, but I know it's because I need a 1/2 inch shorter belt. Look at the "range" on the belt tensioner... I'm sure it will be either out of range, or very close... needing a shorter belt... I'm gunna buy one soon, when funds become available... Workers Comp blows and pays s h i t. :notnice:

I get a squeel with my belt with the stock 3g pulley on my paperformance alternator (don't know if the pulley size is different?).

I wonder if you have the improper belt length or something which is being "pro'ed and con'd" with the different size pullies.

I've tried two different belts and ofcourse two alternator pulley's with no luck. I'm always within range according to the tensioner. I'm at dead center or a little to the left. I barely can slip the belt under the tensioner when I have it the whole way open. I just can't believe it's my belt slipping since it appears to be tight enough. The sound it makes sounds like a very sharp, and high pitched blow off valve.

Start the car without a belt? Is that possible? And exactly what does belt dressing mean?

I have the ASP on mine and it's fine.

Does it squeel with ANY pulley on it or just the ASP??

It may be the bearings in the alternator squealing...or it could be the tensioner pulley squeeling.

Squirt a little WD-40 into the tensioner and see if it squeals.

If you run underdrive crank pulleys it evens out close to stock.

I did the calculations once on my March pullies with the ASP overdrive pulley and found it within 10% of stock RPM.

Mustang5L5 said:
I have the ASP on mine and it's fine.

Does it squeel with ANY pulley on it or just the ASP??

It may be the bearings in the alternator squealing...or it could be the tensioner pulley squeeling.

Squirt a little WD-40 into the tensioner and see if it squeals.

It squeeled even with a stock 2G pulley. Squeels anytime I run a pulley that's smaller than the stock 3G. I'll try the WD-40 though just to see if its the tensioner.

Mustang5L5 said:
If you run underdrive crank pulleys it evens out close to stock.

I did the calculations once on my March pullies with the ASP overdrive pulley and found it within 10% of stock RPM.
You are correct.

I just took my pulley off to sell the car because I had to put back the stock pulleys to run the smog pump.

If anyone needs one let me know.