at first you don't succeed, try try again.

foghorn67

I'll save you the time and choke myself
Founding Member
Jan 10, 2002
Orange County, CA
Hi, long time, no see.
Not really tech, so it goes in the talk section.
Last September I had the drivers side headgasket go south for the winter.
I finally got off my lazy butt and fixed it. Here is why I lost motivation. (pic below)
I stupidly left a rag where the cylinder head goes. Torqued it down, adjusted valvetrain, sealed intake, carb, valve covers, then noticed what went wrong.
It took me a few months to recover what little dignity I had. So with the help of my friends that made sure I didn't do anything like this again, it's all fixed.
Also, intake manifold leaks can be thought provoking, just like head gasket leaks. But that is another story.
This isn't my first time. A few years back, I left a rag in the lifter valley, and then buttoned everything up.
DSC00843upload.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

foghorn67 said:
Hi, long time, no see.
Not really tech, so it goes in the talk section.
Last September I had the drivers side headgasket go south for the winter.
I finally got off my lazy butt and fixed it. Here is why I lost motivation. (pic below)
I stupidly left a rag where the cylinder head goes. Torqued it down, adjusted valvetrain, sealed intake, carb, valve covers, then noticed what went wrong.
It took me a few months to recover what little dignity I had. So with the help of my friends that made sure I didn't do anything like this again, it's all fixed.
Also, intake manifold leaks can be thought provoking, just like head gasket leaks. But that is another story.
This isn't my first time. A few years back, I left a rag in the lifter valley, and then buttoned everything up.
DSC00843upload.jpg

that's why they make the rags red, so there easy to spot:D

I have to give you credit though, that's one stupid thing I haven't done yet:D

Foggy, you're back! :nice:

Don't feel too bad; you have not won the bonehead maneuver of the year award.....

Years ago, while finishing the demolition of a case of Michelob dry; I decided to interrupt my noble task and change the oil in my old F100. Drain the oil, change the filter, add six quarts of oil, and head for the driver's seat to fire the old boy up to get the fresh oil pumped in......
(Pay attention to that exact sequence of events)

As my hand reaches for the driver's door handle, my feet suddenly fly out from under me. As I'm looking to see where, exactly, the back of my head is about to land; I notice a light brown puddle, and...wait.....is that the oil pan drain bolt I see????

Maybe there wasn't as much work involved in fixing my self-induced problem; but at least you didn't have to go to the E.R. (it was only a mild concussion) and explain why there was a bump on your noggin under that freshly 20W50-slicked hair. :rolleyes:

StangDreamin' said:
but at least you didn't have to go to the E.R. (it was only a mild concussion) and explain why there was a bump on your noggin under that freshly 20W50-slicked hair. :rolleyes:
:lol:

Just remember one very important thing...................
If at first you don't succeed, then sky-diving is NOT the sport for you!

I guess this should turn into a "dumb things I've done" thread to teach the younger guys and gals what not to do. So here's my contribution.

I had installed the motor and trans in my car and was finally at the point of starting it after months of rewiring, fuel system items, etc. The car fired up and was emitting a deafening shreiking and banging sound. It was so loud I couldn't tell where it was coming from and was terrified to allow the engine to run while I diagnosed it. I eventually found that the starter was being struck by the flex plate for about 1/3 of its revolution. "The bendix must not be retracting enough," I thought. So, out can the starter. I disassembled it, and thinking it may be the wrong model starter needing modification, I turned down about 1/4" of the end of the gear, reassembled it, and reinstalled it. Noise was greatly reduced! I repeated the procedure one more time and cured the whole problem.

A year later I discovered stangnet and read a post about torque converters where a member admitted to cranking his T/C nuts on untill he bent his flex plate into the back of the block and starter because he neglected to line up the T/C drain plug with the hole in the flex plate. I quickly crawled under my car and realized I hadn't fixed anything. Instead I had a bent flex plate due to an improperly installed T/C and mutilated starter to compensate. Never was a factor in my old chevs. All fixed now!

And I have also done the oil plug thing.....on a motorcycle. The catch pan was still under the drain while the filler was on the opposite side of the bike, so I didn't notice the waste untill I said to myself, "Boy, four litres and it's still thirsty. Must be something wrong."