At what point is tuning software needed

• Sponsors (?)

Jakencub:

It depends on the goals you have for the car and your personality.

If you like to tinker then tune-your-own is probably a good choice. Tuning takes some effort and time: you have to learn the program, learn what the parameters are for, datalog, interpret the datalogs, and then try your hand at tuning. You need patience, too, because you won't get everything perfect in one or two tries. If you're impatient, you can get a custom or mail-order tune from a reputable tuner.

If you intend to add more mods then a tune will make the most of what the engine has. You can start tuning now and keep at it as the mods continue or you can datalog and send the logs to your tuner who can update your (custom) tune.

If you go with a custom tune, you need to find somebody who knows what they are doing. A dyno tune will get the mid- to full-throttle part of the range in good shape but you also want some work done at idle and low-throttle so the car is a joy to drive. A good tuner can do all that (and some may not need a dyno).

So, you have to think about your future with your car and decide what is right for you. You will get a ton of different answers to your question.

HTH,

Chris

I wouldn't mess w/the factory tune unless its a must. The factory tune is designed to accomadate most atmospheres and climates, so a if you tune car from a tuner and the weather changes drastacally don't be surprised to see a MIL or check engine light. If you change cams/larger injectors and heads, and or go forced induction then a tune is a must. So CAI intake and Throttle-body/Upper intake would probaly be no reason for a tune.

I wouldn't mess w/the factory tune unless its a must. The factory tune is designed to accomadate most atmospheres and climates, so a if you tune car from a tuner and the weather changes drastacally don't be surprised to see a MIL or check engine light. If you change cams/larger injectors and heads, and or go forced induction then a tune is a must. So CAI intake and Throttle-body/Upper intake would probaly be no reason for a tune.

Good to know. I did tuning on my last car since it was a turbo one with the AEM EMS. So I just like to get an idea. I probably will not be doing much more to it until the new motor and turbo is put in the car.

Buy a SCT tuner from American Muscle and get free tunes for life. So every time you buy a new part, you can get the proper tune for it.

I would do this unless you plan on going FI, at which point I would save the money on a dyno tune.

Buy a SCT tuner from American Muscle and get free tunes for life. So every time you buy a new part, you can get the proper tune for it.

I would do this unless you plan on going FI, at which point I would save the money on a dyno tune.

Eventually I will have a T76 on a built motor but that will be about a year off. But heck I could probably pick up a SCT till then

Ive never had needed a custom tune ..... I like running regular:flag:
Like trombonedemon said, the factory tune can adjust to mild mods and
up performance within reason.

I'm back to the stock tune since Diablo could never get it right (I have to give them props though - they really tried, and I just gave up on it). Still, now without a tune at all, I cannot run regular gas...wish I could, but Ford tells me otherwise.

The tune is not something to 'tinker' with. And unless you have accurate real time monitoring of things like AFR and EGT, you would simply be guessing your tune. :nono: