At what price would you buy a Terminator?

Low-5.0 said:
Wow you're a dumbass...
Hmm, the 94/95 section is full of potty mouth tough guys!
Low-5.0 said:
You paid $4K for a '90 2 years ago(13 year old car), where I paid $6500 for a 95 4 years ago(6 year old car).
Yes. I paid 4k....oh, you think your 94 is worth more than a fox becuase it's 4 yrs. newer lol....how cute! Face it, 2 yrs. ago the price had already leveled out for 87-95 5.0 cars. In fact, a clean 87-93 would probably bring more money than a clean 94-95. When I was shopping 2 yrs 4 months ago(to be exact), I could've got a 94-95 cheaper than my fox, but I didn't like the body style. What is even more funny is that you want to throw up the price you paid 4 yrs. ago and compare it to a current used Cobra---oh the irony. Why don't you compare the current used price of a 94-95, so we can be fair, eh?
Low-5.0 said:
I know they are cheap now, but back then $6500 was a pretty decent price. The front and rear bumpers were peeling, but the rest of the paint was fine when I got the car.
Yeah, so compare the price of a car you've been driving for 4yrs. to the current price of a used Cobra......riiiiiight....

Low-5.0 said:
I did not change rims because they were "showing their age", I changed them for the same reason that everyone else swaps rims. Though I don't suppose you understand why anybody would swap out perfectly fine stock rims for something else. :shrug:
Oh, but you added the price of rims to your mod list....we can add a set of rims to the Cobra's mod list if you want....that will negate the cost of your rims.

Low-5.0 said:
Internally stock 5.0's are dead reliable, and it is possible to retain that reliability with a modified 5.0 if you build it right. IMHO, the 03 Cobra will be more reliable at higher HP levels because it was built from the factory to handle that HP. How many blown HG's have you heard about on 03 Cobra's compared to the 5.0?
Yeah, compare blown head gaskets on a stock 5.0 motor to a newish Cobra motor:rolleyes: ......the Cobra motor is built to withstand 750-800 hp from the factory, but that doesn't mean it's indestructible. People have broken their 12,000 dollar motor:eek:.

Low-5.0 said:
Explain to me how $4k will get you into the mid 11's? I know it can be done if you know what you're doing, but I don't think you could do it without breaking something after a couple runs. Im thinking you either need to buy a lot of used parts, or go with a homemade turbo kit and use the rest of the $4k beefing up the transmission and rear end. I guess nitrous would probably work too.
Yes, nitrous WOULD work.

Low-5.0 said:
This thread is about used Cobra's, which generally are not going for $34K. I know most stangers can't afford an 03, but Im sure that most of them would love to have one. And now that the price is dropping on used ones, your average stanger might just be able to afford one, which is the point of this thread.
Ummm, I think you should re-read this thread and pay special attention to where I was harping on interest . The average stanger doesn't have the money to pay 27k cash for a Cobra.....so what do they do?....they finance the car for 5 or 6 yrs. What happens during this time? They have to pay interest! Does this money not count since it's "not really" included in the selling price? NO NO NO. Oh, and lets not forget about Mr. Insurance collector, he demands that you pay full coverage for each and every year that your car isn't paid for. Last but not least, Mr. government wants his taxes on this car for each and every yr. you own it. Can you say $500 per year?

Low-5.0 said:
As for me, Im just going through problems that every modder will eventually run into at some point. Right now I think the Cobra would have a better choice because I love to drive, and I can't really drive my car right now. Im sure as soon as I get the bugs worked out of it I'll love it. The one time it ran perfectly so far, I know I loved it.
Believe it or not, Cobra owners go through that too! OMG!..."I thought the Cobra could run 9's, with nothing but oil changes" OMGBBQ

Low-5.0 said:
Im done arguing now, and hopefully you'll do the same so maybe this thread can get back on topic. :Zip2:
You can alway go to my other thread named 5.0 vs. Cobra (I'm kinda lonely in there)

• Sponsors (?)

super302 said:
Matt, if you can get into the mid 11's for 4k, let me know :rlaugh:
It's been done many times....http://www.thespeedfactory.com/91LXHatch.htm

11.30@119--ported heads, f303 cam, ported cobra intake, 1.6 rr, 70mm tb, 73mm maf, 24lb injectors, full exhaust, 4.10's and 150shot. Sounds kinda like 25thmustang's combo except he doesn't have ported heads & intake or a cam.

mattkimsey said:
I'd say a 27k Cobra would end up being close to 35k+ after it's paid for(financed for 5-6yrs.).

Maybe it would for you.. Since you must have HORRIBLE CREDIT. 8K in interest????? LOL man your too funny. I have a APR of 5.24 on a used car. Lets just say i didnt put any money down on a 27k car. I would pay 3,700 in interest.

Just another spot where your #'s are wayyyyyyy off.

I'm just annoyed that I didn't know WTF the "Terminator" was - when the hell did it get dubbed that? Cobra sounds good to me.

Oh and TERMINATOR is the name for our body style that was nicknamed that when prototypes were made! Beyotches! Don't copy us! LOL j/p.

Cobras are badass though, especially this one. However, I want a ride I can mod to death which is why I never sold this one. Too much potential and I'll never get over the body style. I won't even mess on the road unless I'm pushing over 400 which is WAY down the road.

I take that Cobra 281 Vert' and raise you an ASS WHOOPING anyday in looks and performance (after some aftermarket mods). IMO. Someday I will have one of those, or an S351 and then I can die happy.

yellow1995Cobra said:
Maybe it would for you.. Since you must have HORRIBLE CREDIT. 8K in interest????? LOL man your too funny. I have a APR of 5.24 on a used car. Lets just say i didnt put any money down on a 27k car. I would pay 3,700 in interest.

Last time I checked....34k - 27k = 7k in interst...not 8k:rlaugh: Your number is based on YOU results will vary. Are you under 25 by any chance? Also, I know I didn't mention it, but did you include tax/tag/title which you pay at the time of purchase?

mattkimsey said:
Hmm, the 94/95 section is full of potty mouth tough guys! Yes. I paid 4k....oh, you think your 94 is worth more than a fox becuase it's 4 yrs. newer lol....how cute! Face it, 2 yrs. ago the price had already leveled out for 87-95 5.0 cars. In fact, a clean 87-93 would probably bring more money than a clean 94-95. When I was shopping 2 yrs 4 months ago(to be exact), I could've got a 94-95 cheaper than my fox, but I didn't like the body style. What is even more funny is that you want to throw up the price you paid 4 yrs. ago and compare it to a current used Cobra---oh the irony. Why don't you compare the current used price of a 94-95, so we can be fair, eh? Yeah, so compare the price of a car you've been driving for 4yrs. to the current price of a used Cobra......riiiiiight....

Can you not read? I have a 95, not a 94 :rolleyes:. Anyways, look at it from a car dealers perspective, a clean 6yo car will bring more money than a clean 11yo car of the same model. What are the 99-00 Stangs going for these days? $6500-$8000?

I know what the price of clean 94-95's were a year ago, and they are about the same price as a clean fox body. Clean fox body's are hard to find anymore and the demand is still there for them, which is why they're holding their value. My cousin can't seem to find a decent fox for under $4K, but my parent's bought a 94 GT a year ago for $3K, which I painted myself for under $500. They looked for about 3 or 4 months and this was the cheapest one they found in good condition.

Are you saying that my $6500 for the car doesn't count because the car is not worth that much now? What about the mods I've installed, should I only count the price I would get for selling them since they're obviously not worth as much as new parts now? I know I could have got at least $6K for my car last year when I was contemplating an 03, but I would have taken a huge loss in mods at that price.

Oh, but you added the price of rims to your mod list....we can add a set of rims to the Cobra's mod list if you want....that will negate the cost of your rims.

That's fine, I was just trying to get accross that rims are generally not replaced as "maintence items".

Yeah, compare blown head gaskets on a stock 5.0 motor to a newish Cobra motor:rolleyes: ......the Cobra motor is built to withstand 750-800 hp from the factory, but that doesn't mean it's indestructible. People have broken their 12,000 dollar motor:eek:.

I never said the Cobra motor was indestructable, I just said that it handles high HP levels better than a 5.0. I've seen several people on here blow hg's or crack pistons with a s/c. I havn't heard anything like that from the 03 Cobra's :shrug:

Yes, nitrous WOULD work.

Until you break a piston. ;) Just ask Stangfreak95 about that.

Ummm, I think you should re-read this thread and pay special attention to where I was harping on interest . The average stanger doesn't have the money to pay 27k cash for a Cobra.....so what do they do?....they finance the car for 5 or 6 yrs. What happens during this time? They have to pay interest! Does this money not count since it's "not really" included in the selling price? NO NO NO. Oh, and lets not forget about Mr. Insurance collector, he demands that you pay full coverage for each and every year that your isn't paid for. Last but not least, Mr. government wants his taxes on this car for each and every yr. you own it. Can you say $500 per year?
So if you were to buy a Cobra at $27K, not counting interest and insurance, what would you tell people when they ask how much the car cost? $34K? Then you'll get people saying "well I just saw one for $27K the other day, you got ripped off". We all know you have to pay interest and taxes, and we know insurance will be high on a Cobra, you don't need to include it in the selling price of the car. I just bought an 06 Mazda so I know all about financing and all that bs. BTW, I still have full coverage on my Mustang even after it's paid off, which Im sure anybody that care's for their car would do the same.

Believe it or not, Cobra owners go through that too! OMG!..."I thought the Cobra could run 9's, with nothing but oil changes" OMGBBQ

WTF? :scratch:
So a dumbass that obvious knows jack about cars is the same as me being pissed because I don't like to drive my car because I can't afford a tune? Yeah....

You can alway go to my other thread named 5.0 vs. Cobra (I'm kinda lonely in there)

:nice:

Low-5.0 said:
Can you not read? I have a 95, not a 94 :rolleyes:.
:hail2:
Low-5.0 said:
Anyways, look at it from a car dealers perspective, a clean 6yo car will bring more money than a clean 11yo car of the same model. What are the 99-00 Stangs going for these days? $6500-$8000?
Actually, if that clean 11 yr old car is a 87-93 it will probably bring the same or more. As an example, the local Ford dealer just sold a '89 GT for $5200 w/100k+ miles. They would be hard pressed to get that from a 94-95 with similar miles. This is really irrelavant though, I paid 4k 2 yrs. ago for my fox with 70k miles. Thats all we need to know. If I would have been smart, I would have got one for 2k that was a little ruff around the edges since I'm probably going to replace everything anyway.

Low-5.0 said:
Are you saying that my $6500 for the car doesn't count because the car is not worth that much now?
YES! You've drove it for 4 years. If we're doing a comparison, we obviously can't bring up the value of a '95 4 years ago. Why not just bring up the new value of what 15k? lol
Low-5.0 said:
What about the mods I've installed, should I only count the price I would get for selling them since they're obviously not worth as much as new parts now?
No, you should add up what YOU paid for them, but you can't bring up the NEW TO YOU price paid for a car which you bought 4 yrs. ago.

Low-5.0 said:
I never said the Cobra motor was indestructable, I just said that it handles high HP levels better than a 5.0. I've seen several people on here blow hg's or crack pistons with a s/c. I havn't heard anything like that from the 03 Cobra's :shrug:

Until you break a piston. ;) Just ask Stangfreak95 about that.
I have 90, so forged pistons.

Low-5.0 said:
So if you were to buy a Cobra at $27K, not counting interest and insurance, what would you tell people when they ask how much the car cost? $34K? Then you'll get people saying "well I just saw one for $27K the other day, you got ripped off". We all know you have to pay interest and taxes, and we know insurance will be high on a Cobra, you don't need to include it in the selling price of the car.
Those are added expenses that many people seem to over look. You can say you paid 27k, but you'll know you're actually paying more...this money has to be taken into consideration when comparing an older car and newer car.
Low-5.0 said:
I still have full coverage on my Mustang even after it's paid off, which Im sure anybody that care's for their car would do the same.
Since the book value on my car is about $2,000....I don't see why I would do that! I would keep full coverage on any car that is worth under 7-8k.

yellow1995Cobra said:

Just got an estimate of $1100-$1200 for ttt. Also, my brother just bought a new car for 18k and the interst rate was 9% for 5 yrs......he has perfect credit. He later refinanced his house and paid it off within 2 yrs.

Sounds like everyone has their own opinion....can't we all just get along?

Back on topic, what i want more than anything is a black terminator. I want one with little to no mods, the only mods i would want would be exhaust and a shifter, NO pulley or tune/chip. Hopefully in a couple years when i get outta college, i can get some money together and find a low mileage, unmolested cobra.

mattkimsey said:
It's been done many times....http://www.thespeedfactory.com/91LXHatch.htm

11.30@119--ported heads, f303 cam, ported cobra intake, 1.6 rr, 70mm tb, 73mm maf, 24lb injectors, full exhaust, 4.10's and 150shot. Sounds kinda like 25thmustang's combo except he doesn't have ported heads & intake or a cam.
lets see.....
he has a full drag suspension, drag rims w/ slicks, block work and most importantly (quality) FORGED pistons. He could be running 10.5:1 compression, which gives a lot more power than your 9.0:1

You put just the parts you listed and i doubt you'd get anywhere near those times, and it'll be a lot more money than you think.
Gears=180
Gear install is $500
Intake+porting=600
Ported heads=300
injectors=200
cam=180
RR's=200
Tb and MAF=350
Full exhaust=800
Nitrous=700
Full drag suspension=1200
Rims and Slicks=800
Machine work on block=500+
Forged pistons=200 :shrug:
Clutch=250
SFC's=250 installed
fuel pump=150
DYNO TUNE=600

when added up, I got ~$8000, what you'd get :ZipIt:
And i was being VERY generous w/ the prices

oh ya.....
splitting the block, blowing the tranny and having rear drums=priceless

mattkimsey said:
Actually, if that clean 11 yr old car is a 87-93 it will probably bring the same or more. As an example, the local Ford dealer just sold a '89 GT for $5200 w/100k+ miles. They would be hard pressed to get that from a 94-95 with similar miles. This is really irrelavant though, I paid 4k 2 yrs. ago for my fox with 70k miles. Thats all we need to know. If I would have been smart, I would have got one for 2k that was a little ruff around the edges since I'm probably going to replace everything anyway.

I try to compare the cost of a 6yo car today(99-00), and you still go back to the fox vs. sn95 thing. Since I bought my car, fox's have stayed about the same price and 94-95's dropped to about the same price as the fox's. Now, compare the price of a 99-00 GT today to a 5.0. Yeah, it's gonna be about the same price that I paid for my 6yo car 4 years ago, maybe a little more. I don't really care what 94-95's are going for today, or even 2 years ago. I do know that $5K for a 95 with 100K miles is not unheard of today, and $6500 for a 95 4 years ago is just about right.

YES! You've drove it for 4 years. If we're doing a comparison, we obviously can't bring up the value of a '95 4 years ago. Why not just bring up the new value of what 15k? lol

My point is, when Im adding up the total cost I've got in my car, should I count the price I paid for it, or what it's worth at the momemt? If I remember right, that's what I was originally comparing to the Cobra, my total cost that I have in my car. Should I also include tax/title/insurance costs? :lol:

I know I said this once allready, but Im done with this argument. Take it to your other thread if you want to continue because Im finished hijacking this one.

super302 said:
lets see.....
he has a full drag suspension, drag rims w/ slicks, block work and most importantly (quality) FORGED pistons.

You put just the parts you listed and i doubt you'd get anywhere near those times, and it'll be a lot more money than you think.
Gears=180
Gear install is $500
Intake+porting=600
Ported heads=300
injectors=200
cam=180
RR's=200
Tb and MAF=350
Full exhaust=800
Nitrous=700
Full drag suspension=1200
Rims and Slicks=800
Clutch=250
SFC's=250 installed
fuel pump=150
DYNO TUNE=600

when added up, I got ~$8000, what you'd get :ZipIt:
And i was being VERY generous w/ the prices

oh ya.....

used parts big guy

And doing all the work yourself saves you a good deal of money:Teh-Win:

super302 said:
lets see.....
he has a full drag suspension,
Shocks/Struts: Lakewood Drag
Springs: Eibach
Cage/Frames: Subframes
That's a full grag suspention?:rlaugh:
drag rims w/ slicks
Most low 11 sec. cars have this.
block work
A 306?
and most importantly (quality) FORGED pistons.
You do know that TRW's are the stock brand of pistons right?
He could be running 10.5:1 compression, which gives a lot more power than your 9.0:1
He would add higher compression to the mod list...he did on the other cars.
You could really say the same thing about a Cobra...I could add mods and not run to it's potential.
Gears=180
Gear install is $500
I've seen the gears new for $150, if you pay $500 for an install, someone put it in your pooper:rlaugh: I'll do the install myself
Intake+porting=600
I can get new Cobras for $350, not to mention the supply of used and explorer intakes. Tmoss does porting for $100
Tb and MAF=350
TB and MAF new on ebay for $250
Full exhaust=800
longtubes $250 xpipe $150 mufflers $100

For shocks, struts and springs? Try $500
Rims and Slicks=800
rims not needed, ponys with slicks or 10 holes will work. Doesn't matter any way because about all car will tires.
Again, not needed 306 makes very very little power over a 302
I have those.
SFC's=250 installed
$75 on ebay, I'll install
fuel pump=150
Can get that for $110
DYNO TUNE=600
Not needed with a basic ported stock H/C/I
when added up, I got ~$8000,
:rlaugh:
what you'd get
less than $4k Not to mention, I already have the exhaust, clutch....(it'll cost me closer to 3k) :ZipIt:
[/QUOTE]Splitting the block with less than 450rwhp? Also, I'm not in a braking contest LOL

Dude you are so annoying.....

I only looked at your last post for about 10 seconds, all i care to add is that you DO require a good tune if you're doing an H/C/I swap, basic or advanced.

Also, you spelled drag suspension - grag suspention. This isn't helping your cause.

Low-5.0 said:
My point is, when Im adding up the total cost I've got in my car, should I count the price I paid for it, or what it's worth at the momemt?
If you're considering trading it in, I would go with the trade in value of private party value.
Low-5.0 said:
If I remember right, that's what I was originally comparing to the Cobra, my total cost that I have in my car. Should I also include tax/title/insurance costs? :lol:
Why would you include TTT with a car in which you've already paid it?:rlaugh: For a new car, you WOULD need to include it, because that's extra money you will pay. Sheesh, they told me it was a young crowd in here, but wow!

Low-5.0 said:
I know I said this once allready, but Im done with this argument. Take it to your other thread if you want to continue because Im finished hijacking this one.
cool