Atf Pump Seal Leak After Engine Block Replaced!

walkers9321

Jan 27, 2015
Hey Fellow Stangnet Users!

New to the forums looking to get some feedback and help on a current issue I am having. I hope I am posting this in the correct section. Anyways here goes I own a 2000 mustang GT 4.6L of course and at about 150,000 miles in July 2014 one of the timing chains snapped and did a real number on the engine and its parts. It cracked pistons and the block, etc. I paid for a new engine block new pistons, etc through a shop in Sacramento, CA. I ended up spending over $4,000. Yeah I know insane anyways fast forward to Jan 15 2015 or so and one day I start to see a black oil leak in my drive way. So I start thinking GREAT one thing after another. I take it back to the same shop that did the engine swap and they tell me its a possible ATF leak from the pump seal and will cost me over $600. I know basically nothing about cars as you can tell, anyways I start to think well shouldn't you guys have checked to see if that was leaking when you pulled the engine from the transmission??? I think so. So then I take a look at my $4,000 dollar receipt and see that they charged me for a Repair Sleeve / Rear main seal part number 162551, Now I do not know how many real main seals there are in a 2000 mustang GT but isn't that the same as a Pump seal for the transmission the same thing that is leaking?? Please help me out here I feel as though I am being ripped off.

Thanks in advanced for your help!

• Sponsors (?)

Now I do not know how many real main seals there are in a 2000 mustang GT but isn't that the same as a Pump seal for the transmission the same thing that is leaking?? Please help me out here I feel as though I am being ripped off.
The rear main seal is in the motor. It's purpose is to keep oil inside the motor. There is only one. However, it can be difficult to install. If not done correctly it will have a short service life.

The pump seal is in the transmission. It's purpose is to keep ATF transmission fluid inside the transmission.

So in answer to your question, they are different seals.

It' seems to me that you need to KNOW what fluid is actually leaking. Motor oil or transmission fluid.

I bet you wish that you put an $800 salvage yard motor instead of having someone rebuild a motor from parts. OBTW worn timing chains is exactly what killed the original motor in my 2000 GT.