Audio questionnnn

1991stanggt

Sep 23, 2003
Somebody told me my car has a built in amp(91 gt), is this true, i wouldnt expect it to come with one but they said they came with them?? they said if my cd player is hooked up to it itd be better off unhooking it and letting the amp thats built into the cd player itself work...so does anybody know anything about this

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

If you have the "premium sound", then its either right behind the radio or under the passengers seat. If you have an aftermarket cd player and used the 2 harnesses in the kit , then i believe that the amp has already been bypassed and is now just dead weight

Well I do have the premium sound kit and when i got the cd player installed a while ago they said they needed to use another wiring harness to hook up the amp so im assuming they hooked it up unless i got screwed...thats kinda the reason i asked lol. But do you think i should unhook the amp and let the one thats bulit into the cd player run??

You'll have to rewire if the shop wired your amp to power your new deck. I too wanted to get rid of the stock amp, so I unplugged it and yanked it out....and then my radio didn't work! So I put it back in for now. I don't know about those things other than how to unplug and plug stuff in, lol!

Yep, the premium sound had an amp (under pass seat if i'm not mistaken) it's all set up so you can just unplug the entire thing (*i think*) I'd expect if you had a good place install the system they probably bypassed it so i wouldn't worry too much. you could check though by just following wires........
How long you had it like that? because it would probably kill itself pretty soon if it was wired up through there, so i'd guess you'd notice..

Good Luck
-Bart

I had a cd player, amp and subs installed in my 90 LX and it had a factory amp behind the stereo that they took out and didn't even use, so it's not needed, I guess. I don't know if I have the premium sound or even how to tell, but I know it had an amp behind the stock radio...