auto cross questions and tips

deadlast

Mar 30, 2005
Belmont, MA
i searched around on here for a while, but still had a few questions. What kind of tires are best? I would only autox 5-6 times a year, and it's my DD. i have never done it before, and was wondering how my setup is now? Im only 17, so im not looking to compete, i only want to go out and learn how to drive fast in a safe place. I figured autox courses would be a great place to learn my car better, because i am not as skilled as I would like to be. Also, to anyone in MA, wher do you normally go? any tips on getting started would be appreciated as well.

• Sponsors (?)

You are leaving some important questions unanswered.
Since it is your daily will you be using the same tires that you normally drive on?
What size wheels do you currently have (obviously at least 17's)?
What is your budget for tires?
How many miles would you like to get out of your tires?

With that said, get Falken Azeni RT-615s, BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KD's, or Kumho Ecsta MX's. Yokohama ES100's are decent if you want alittle more tread wear. If you have a spare set of wheels then get Kumho ECSTA V710's.

As far as your setup, I would sell those lowers and buy some tubular arms with a spherical bearing on the axle side (ie Pro3i, StangSuspension.com, MM). I would put the stock uppers back on with the different lowers. I would also get plain rotors next time around. Subframe connectors should be the first mod on any and every Mustang. Spend some money and go to a driving school. The biggest improvement someone can do it tighten the nut behind the wheel.

Any street tire is good to start with. They don't have great grip around corners, they all understeer, and they all have relatively soft sidewalls so they will be very forgiving. Your combo is fine for autocross. A stock motor'ed GT would be perfectly fine even. The three things i suggest most in an autocross setup are tires, good brake pads like HAWK, and some nice adjustable shocks/struts so you can dial in oversteer or dial out understeer accordingly. This along with sway bar rigidity allows you to set up how your car moves around corners. Since an auto course is tight and a mustang is big and heavy you want the rear end to be able to slide a little so you can "rotate" it around turns. This requires a stiffer suspension setting in the rear that can be attained by getting an adjustable sway bar along with some good schocks.

But you don't really need to play with all that until you've gotten a few autocrosses under your belt. The main flaws with our mustangs in autocross courses are the suspension and weight. Just invest in some good brake pads and try to get all of your braking done before the turn, then feather it through the turn, and accelerate out of it. MOST of your time is based on how you come out of turns. If you come out sloppy and understeering, it will hurt time dramatically in the straight to the next turn. In other words, don't overdrive your car. Learn its capabilities. Every time i go out in mine i make a slow run the first time, and after that i make a fast one and push the car beyond its limits. In the third run i "average" the first two and find an equilibrium for that course. Just try to be smooth. People that go and burn tires and have the rear end hanging out the whole time and locking up tires have the slowest times. Good luck and let me know if you need any other suggestions.