Auto guys with stalls, in here!

nickm347

Jul 13, 2003
I am thinkin about gettin a stall in my car. im not real sure how big i should get? also, how much will it effect my gas mileage? im not sure how much info you need, so i will tell you what mods i have
i have a 347 with afr 185 heads, eldebrock intake, longtube headers w/ o/r x pipe. the auto has a shiftkit already and it also has 3.73 gears
thanks a lot for any info

• Sponsors (?)

You stall is determined by several things but especially cam shaft and weight of the car. What cam are you running? I have a 347 and a 2500 P.I. but that is a little too small a 3000 would be better I just don't want to yank the tranny out again.

If you looking for recomendations I would go with about 3000rpms of stall... I have about 2400 in my car right now and I wish I would have gotten more.
The reason you want the tranny to stall/slip till a certain RPM is because with most high performance engines the "power band" is at a higher rpm and you want to take off in that rpm range.

Yes it will probibly effect your gas milage a little bit. Maybe 1mpg. Due to the extra rpms needed to move the car.

But your car will be a hellova lot faster with it. I know mine was.

It would probably be a better idea to contact a company and see what stall they think you need based upon what you have. I know Edge has a form you can fill out with all the information that you know, so they can pick a stall that is best matched to your needs.

3400 stall here

Actually my convertor doesn't really stall, it "flashes" at 32-3400rpm. I am running an Art Carr 3400 non-lockup 9" that is doscile when not crowded. My wife could not tell it was in there...until I showed her how to "flash" it! Instead of holding the tranny on the brake (stalling it), you just hold the brake, raise the rpm slightly then stab it when you want to leave. The transmission briefly free-revs then hits like sliding your foot off the clutch petal of a standard ( similar to a transbrake). It made my car leave harder than a 5 speed car, simply because it didn't shock the suspension as hard, leaving more tire to the track. It doesn't lurch forward, nor does the rpm have to come up before the car starts to move. Couple that with a Bauman Baumanator tranny computer and pull daylight on the front wheels! Shifting with your cruise control buttons is pretty trick too! :D